Chapter 35: Protected

YOUR POV

I've been telling Shinichiro everything about what happened and even the things I never told anyone of. It's as if this is the only time for us to catch up with everything we've been through. He listened to every word I said with intent as he leaned onto the couch. I decided to tell him as he deserved to know it anyway. I'm back with him now. And he trusts me more than before. There's no need for me to fear of losing him for my careless actions. I just need to trust him the same.

"When the news of us breaking up got out. A lot of people have been looking at me differently. It was obvious I'm getting the unfair treatment. I pretty much got a bad image." He raised his brows in surprise. I was sure he didn't realize it at first as people had often done it behind his back. I had been facing their judging gazes and words for a while without anyone daring to defend me until the end. "Everything worsened when you left." I scratched the back of my head, feeling awkward of telling this to him as it all started with our own conflict.

"I was... bullied for what I did. At least for what they knew I did." I shrugged my shoulders. I don't really have any idea of how the news spread but people eventually found out of the reason of our breakup and it didn't really gave me much of a good impact.

I felt alone especially when he left. I never once tried to fight back because I know I was in the wrong for it. Though there are some who stood by my side but it didn't help as they were also dragged into the mess resulting to them giving up on the thought and I can't blame them either as I brought it to myself. That is until...

"But it didn't last long until Kian decided to step in. He threatened everyone with the use of his connections with his brother's gang." It was not the best idea to let him defend me as it only confirmed the suspicion of others of us having an affair but I had no choice but to let him as I'm threatened as well in my situation. "And for my remaining years in high school, I was being protected by the very gang who beat you when you were there." In those years, it felt like forever to me in guilt of being sided with the person who became the reason of my separation with the most important person to me.

"When I went after my brother here in Japan, I found him caught up with a conflict within gangs as he used to be a member of Higanbana." Gin had chosen to stay here in Japan with our grandparents when he went to high school so I was left back in my homeland at a young age. "His wife was pregnant at that time and it made it more dangerous that the gangs are attacking all around. He was no longer a member of Higanbana but the news hasn't spread on the other gangs yet so they were threatened."

"So when I met Tomoe and he offered me to join Higanbana—Gin's former gang, he and Danzai promised me one thing." It was an idea that I got from my own experience and thought that it'll help me too in the future.

"Protection."

"Tomoe wanted my skills in fighting in replacement for Gin's resignation and I swore to use it together with Higanbana to which Danzai approved." Though they did kept their side of the deal as they ensured our safety from that old conflict. "And that's how I got into this mess."

"If only we had met earlier then I would've been the one who promised you that instead of them." I heard Shinichiro mumble and I chuckled at him.

"Would you even want to meet me that early?" I mean everything really happens for a reason at a right time. If that time wasn't the right time then we're not even supposed to meet each other yet. He's probably still mad at me at that time.

"Of course, I would." I only giggle and shook my head at his response.

"Recently, I can't seem to fulfill my side of the deal." I continued and squeezed his hand in mine, feeling the urge to let him know of it too. "How could I if it's to hurt the person most important to me?" I said, pertaining to the infiltration plan Danzai had for me.

"I would've done it. I would infiltrate Black Dragons without having to think twice. But I know doing that will only hurt you and I don't want to make you feel betrayed... not again." I frowned. Even though we were still not yet together when I rejected the order, I still feel like he'll feel betrayed for the moment our eyes met again, I saw the longing in him especially the glint of hope in his eyes.

"You always care too much of other people's feelings." I bit my lip.

Is it really wrong of me to do things by myself?

As soon as I asked this question to myself, Shinichiro already answered it as if he's read my mind.

"I don't doubt your decisions, love." He said while lifting my chin to face him. "I know everything you're doing is for what you think is best." Pulling me closer, he encaged me in his warm embrace.

"So even if you leave me. Even if you tell me you don't love me anymore. I'll still come and run after you. Because I know you'll probaby only do such thing to save my feelings." I smiled at his words. What a stupid yet touching idea. I'd definitely do it for him. He's worth everything I can imagine.

"But you can't fool me anymore.. because I know you love me genuinely." I almost laugh out loud at this. I see no lie either. Because I really can't imagine myself loving someone else other than him. He must've noticed me stiffling my laughter when he pulled away. Raising my hand, he placed his lips against my knuckle in a butterfly kiss.

"N/N—L/N Y/N. Starting today, you'll be forever connected to me no matter what, where, and when." I can't help the smile that broke into my lips at his cringy and cliche words that still managed to make my heart beat wildly against my chest and my emotions mixing altogether like fireworks bursting in multiple colors beautifully and satisfyingly making me feel thankful for having this very guy in my life.

"So thank you."

"Thank you for telling me."