Chapter 11: Beaten

AKIO'S POV

When I was about to turn to leave, Sano quickly called out to me, making me stop on my tracks.

"Akio... that's your name, right? I don't know how much but I can see Y/N trusting you." My brows furrowed when he started speaking about Y/N's trust.

I've known Y/N ever since she joined the gang. She was the first to acknowledge me from the gang even when I don't excel in anything but being an extra member. I'm often just a tool to play with inside the gang by the other members like an errand boy but when she joined the gang, she treated me unlike the them. She had defended those who are like me within Higanbana. Although she would still give me orders, it wasn't treated in a way that she's bullying me... I know because I can feel it. Her concern. At first, she was a hypocrite in my eyes but then it came down to feeling that she's trying to keep me away from those who bully the weak inside the gang. Since then I would always follow her and accept orders from her.

I never thought of her trusting me as I only enjoy in following her because I trust her more than I trust Higanbana's commander.

So seeing her get beat up by the others earlier was a sight I can't bear to witness any longer. I felt guilty for turning my back at her when she was already coughing blood on the ground but what can I do? I'm too weak to defend her. After all, I'm not as strong as the rest. The moment they left her lying on the ground and already passed out, the sight made my stomach turn as I saw her shape. She was beaten up too badly as if they enjoyed kicking and punching her in every part of her body. The worst that I had witnessed was Tomoe who had banged her head against the floor which caused her to lose consciousness enough for them to stop.

"What's this about?" I can still sense the shakiness of my voice but Sano didn't seem to notice it which I thanked inwardly. I kept my best to hide her blood stain on my shirt when I tried to help her.

When I managed to get us alone in the meeting place earlier, I immediately went to help her but I only ended up hurting her more so I had to call for an ambulance to rush her to the hospital for treatment. The way she flinched and wince in every contact was painful to watch.

Sano pulled something out of his pocket and showed me a needle with a small container in a form of an injecting tool.

"Last night... someone injected her with this before she passed out. It's an injection used for making people pass out in an instant. I have no idea who could possibly want her to faint during a fight especially when she's facing the leader of a gang but I hope you'll be able to clear things up about it." I froze when he handed me the item. "I have a feeling she's being cornered to something." I look up and saw the look of concern in his eyes. "If something were to happen to her again, please let me know immediately."

I look at him weirdly. If I'm right, I haven't seen him hanging out with Y/N before except the night at the restaurant and yet it looks as if he cared for her more than I do as her kouhai. He even bothered to take care of her the night after the battle. Is this guy in love with her or something?

"You're sticking your nose too much on someone's business, don't you think?" I raised a brow at him. I know he's a good guy when he helped me fix Y/N's bike back at the other day without asking something in return but I don't know if it's right to let him get too close with Y/N when they both are in different gangs especially in this situation when Danzai doesn't overlook things such as this.

Sparing one last glance at the needle in my palm, I familiarised the trademark on the side of its small container containing a few drops of the medicine inside and also the small feather at the end of it. If I'm right, I think I've seen this thing somewhere before but I somehow can't recall it properly. It must've been because I paid not much attention to i and now I wish I did. I reurned it back to him and he gave me a confused look.

"Keep this for proof. I have a pretty good memory, I'll be able to recall it instantly if I were to see the same thing. I'll investigate further about it for awhile... not because a gang leader ordered me to but for her sake." I can't keep such a thing with me. It might be dangerous. It's better to leave it at the hands of someone who's the least suspicious.

"Thank you." And with that, I left their residence and made my way towards the L/N's.

"Gin."

"Where's Y/N?" He looked behind me, hoping for his younger sister to show up. Ever since I've been following Y/N, Gin had also became a friend of mine since I often stop by for Y/N's orders.

"Sh-She's..." I trailed off, not knowing where to start and I saw his aura darkening around him, clearly getting an idea of what really happened.

"What happened?"

"You need to come with me." I said and he followed me to the bike parked in front of their home and I led us the way to the hospital where Y/N was taken.

"Akio, why don't you just tell me where Y/N is?" I heard him ask from behind me as we rode along the way.

"She's beaten up, Gin." I sighed and there was silence. I know exactly that Gin is already mad at how his voice darkened. Everytime Y/N gets injured by someone, he wouldn't think twice of getting back at them for her. Although she knows nothing of it as we're aware she would be mad if she found out about it. She never wanted to be protected in any way.

"Which gang?"

"Higanbana." My voice was low and even through the sound of the wind, Gin still managed to hear me.

"What the hell?? Why would they beat her up?!" He exclaimed, his anger only building up even more especially now that he knows it's the same gang he used to be with. Gin is one of the former members of Higanbana's third generation but retired when he got married and had a kid.

"I'll explain everything to you later but right now she needs you. She's at the hospital."

There was silence between us once again until we reached the hospital and I had to park the bike.

"How bad was it?" I looked up at him with sad eyes, remembering how Y/N looked earlier.

"A broken arm, two broken ribs, bruises and a head wound..." I whispered and Gin punched the wall in irritation as he failed to control his anger. "They would often just beat up someone but not this far. Tomoe... he seemed out of it while beating her." I continued. I remember clearly the image of Tomoe's expression as he enjoyed beating the hell out of her even when she's his own vice captain. He's supposed to be the one defending her and yet since he's Tomoe, of course I can't expect such a thing from him.

"Was it him who broke her arm?" I only nod my head as we walked towards the entrance of the building.

"I'll fucking kill him." He glared at a distance, muttering words under his breath caused by his anger. "How dare they disgrace Higanbana. I never signed my sister up to be one of Higanbana's vice captains just to be beaten up by her own comrades. This is why I never approved of her to join in the first place."

I can only sigh, knowing these siblings are going to have a long talk when Y/N wakes up.