Chapter 30: Awake

YOUR POV

It's already afternoon and we haven't left the hospital yet since last night because Akio hasn't woke up yet. I don't know why but I really can't get the uneasy feeling off of me. I only managed to get some sleep because of Nichi continuously convincing me to. No matter how I try, I really can't stop thinking what really happened last night. To think that he got into the hospital just a few minutes when the meeting should end, it gives me the chills that it's possible Danzai was the one who did this. But them being ambushed by other gangs isn't impossible as well.

As I reach his room, I saw him struggling in sitting up. I quickly rush to his side to assist him.

"Akio. Thank goodness you're awake. How are you feeling? Does something hurt?" He looked at me with eyes of worry and didn't even bother to answer any of my questions.

"Y/N..."

"Yes?"

"Stay away from them." He gripped my wrist protectively. My heart immediately fastened at his words, afraid that what I'm thinking might be true.

"Who?" He took a deep breath before letting me go and dropping his head low.

"Higanbana."

I knew it.

I clench my fist, controlling my anger.

"Are they the ones who did this to you??" Are they really that fucked up?? I'm aware they don't respect Akio like the way they respect the other members but for them to go this far?? I can't even remember when Higanbana turned into a bunch of sadists when they're supposed to end up just like the first generation.

"What really happened, Akio?" I asked again when he didn't answered.

"Danzai is fixed on forcing you into the Black Dragon—"

"Was I the reason? Was it because of me that they beat you like this?" I can feel my blood rushing rapidly through my veins as my anger builds up even more. That issue again. I was supposed to take care of it in the meeting last night but decided to skip since a meeting will still commence tonight. But why? If I had gone there last night, would Akio be saved from all the beating? Or would I be the one they're beating?

"They wanted me to talk you out of it to give in to Danzai's commands because I'm the one closest to you within and out the gang." He continued and I gritted my teeth.

"And you declined."

Of course Akio would reject his command. He trusts my ways more than he trusts Danzai's.

"It's dangerous for you to get into other gangs and you still need to keep a low profile on delinquency because of your company." My heart sank when he stated his reason.

Should he still even worry about my reputation at that state?

Even if in the eyes of others, I'm the one protecting him but ever since he chose to follow me, he's been the one defending me from the other members as well especially those who tried to kick me out of the gang out of no particular reason that I know of.

"Who are they?" His eyes widen when he heard me ask but decided to answer when our eyes met, knowing how serious I am about the matter. With his eyes staring directly at his palms, he whispered.

"The disciplinary unit." The disciplinary unit, huh?

They're never merciful when it comes to disciplining the members. No wonder Akio got into this state. But he's at no fault for any of this. They should've at least considered it. Are they fucking dumb or what? It's me they wanted, not him.

With my fists clenched in irritation, I turned my back on him and made my way back to the entrance of his toom.

"Y/N, you should stay away from them for now until they've calmed down." He gripped my wrist with not much strength, hoping to stop me from what I'm planning to do.

"They won't calm down, Akio you know that. You even got into this state and it's because of me." Akio has been too loyal to me for the past years I'm in Higanbana and I'm just stupid to not realize that they'll try to get to him if I mess up because they're aware of him being under my care.

"I can't let this slide. They've gone too far and they've crossed the line." Pushing his hand back down, I opened the door.

"Y/N, don't—"

"I'm going to end this. I'll give them what they want and don't even try to stop me. It's for your own good as well. You wouldn't wanna get beat up again by them now, would you?" I know what Danzai has been up to. Ever since the day I realized of the mistreatment he has for me, I knew exactly what he's trying.

I'm sorry, Akio but I'll probably drag you along too. I can't leave you alone in Higanbana's care.

"At least think more of Yumi. She's been worried sick of you since last night." I added and I saw his eyes widen before looking down, seeming defeated.

He knows how worried his sister gets as she would often cry when he gets injuries from gang fights no matter how small it is. But for some reason, Akio won't let go of the thought of being a delinquent, thinking it'll be of use in the future with just the same reason as mine.

"But you really can't show up now. It's too soon to meet up with them, Y/N. They might not be in their best self."

"I told you not to stop me, didn't I?" I turn to look at him. "It's my fault you got beaten up last night. I was supposed to be there. It's me that they wanted to be in that so called meeting, aren't I??" I'm basically the root cause of this. If only I had thought of the possibilities ahead, I would've seen this coming...but I was distracted. "But I had you attend in my place instead and look where it got you."

Shaking my head, I let out a half-hearted laugh.

"I must've pissed them off that much." I gritted my teeth as I glare into nothing particularly. I can feel Akio's worried gaze at me before I turn back to the door. "Yumi went with Shinichiro to buy snacks. They'll be back in a bit. Tell him I'll return later." I said before closing the door behind me.

I have no time to tell Nichi. They'll be alright with him around. I just have to make sure to be back by dark or else he'll be worried.

I'm sorry, Nichi. But I have to do this first before anything moves down to worst. Not only will this decision end things with me and Akio to the Higanbana Gang but there's a possibility that our relationship will be at peace, too.

I have never told Shinichiro about what Danzai ordered me to do and I'm not planning to. If I can end things this early then we'll be fine. There won't be an issue of me regarding the Black Dragons. And I do hope it won't affect my relation with him. It's the least I could think and so I wish it'll save the two of us from repeating history.