4.12 ∣ chosen

Hogwarts began experiencing high winds and sleet in the month of December. When Y/n passed the Durmstrang, which was pitching in the high winds with its black sails billowing against the dark sky, she was grateful for the castle's fires and thick walls. Each time Y/n visited Fleur, the Beauxbaton house was cold. 

After the break between classes, three classes were offered, Defense Against Dark Arts, Potions, and Magical Creatures. All three Y/n had with Harry, ever since the tent she didn't want to face him, something in her didn't want to come to that realization of caring about a new human being. 

In their first class after the break, Rita Skeeter appeared and caused Y/n to be questioned by the whole group. "So you have finally had a chance to speak on your brother?" Rita wondered as she studied the floating notepad by her side. Some appeared to be interested in Sirius as if he were still on the lookout for him. Y/n just shrugged not saying anything to the woman before her, Theo and Grace went towards the castle because the bell rang. She and Luna had checked on the house elf's move because of Christmas coming up, They were happier than they could ever be working in the kitchens. 

Harry attempted to talk to her while he was in the kitchen as well, but she walked away without saying a word to him. Despite not wanting to let her go, he always felt different when he was with her than when he was with Ron or Hermione. Y/n expressed a desire to be around him, but she did not wish to hurt anyone in the process.

Having been back and forth between Hogwarts and the hospital for some time, Theo finally had an opportunity to visit his mother. He has been gone for about a week since the ball has been announced. 

The arrival of December also signaled the approaching Yule ball. All the Slytherin's winded up having Potion's with Snape all to their selves because of the yule ball announcement. "Newman! Black! Pay attention!" Snape shouted, turning around to see the two girls sitting next to him, one of whom was reading a book and the other was examining her nails. 

"But--" Y/n replied looking towards the man with greasy black hair and furrowing her eyebrows when they did not even speak. 

"The Yule Ball is approaching, a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish, I suggest not to..." Snape slowly explained while Y/n fixed her posture, listening to more information since her mother never gave her a lot. Professor Snape continued, "the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day and conclude at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then-"

Snape gazed around the class with deliberate intent. "But that does NOT mean," Professor Snape went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Slytherin student embarrasses the school in any way...I expect the best from my house..." While Snape had his back turned Y/n and Grace both gave him a sault. 

Grace frowned as Y/n whispered jokingly, "I'm asking Fleur.". Grace glanced at Y/n, furrowing her eyebrows. 

"Are you cheating on me?" 

"Yes." She replied as she continued, causing the girls to silently laugh.

As Snape turned to face everyone once again, the bell rang, and everyone gathered their belongings and piled them onto their shoulders. "Newman, Black where has Nott been? Since he is your sidekick?" Snape asked looking over to the two, who turned to him after being called. 

"He visited his mother," Y/n explained. "He should return today, as Dumbledore gave him a deadline...". The man nodded before waving them off. Grace grabbed Y/n's hand as they were exiting the classroom.