4.6 ∣ s.p.e.w

Over the summer, Professor Snape has reached new levels of vindictiveness, he almost give Y/n detention twice, the first time because she excused herself for the bathroom, and the second time because of the fact she was related to Sirius. McGonagall got her out of the detentions, thankfully because Y/n didn't want to face her mother when it came to detentions. Since they first met, Harry and Y/n have met in the Astronomy tower about once.

They both felt strange talking up there, Grace and Theo had no clue where Y/n had gone the night before. Grace wasn't sure whether to follow her friend or not. In the corridor leading to Defence Against The Dark Arts, Grace questioned "Where are you going?...Y/n, don't make me give you a truth serum-"

"Nowhere...I have been going to the black lake as I always have." Said Y/n. Theo shook his head as Grace hummed loudly. Y/n was a good liar, so anybody who heard her voice did not doubt what she said, as she always sounded cold and calm. "Now can we get to defence?"

"Moody might be an interesting professor," Theo announced, holding on to his bag, "at least some relief from Snape now-"

For the fourth year in a row, Snape had failed to obtain the Dark Arts job. Snape never publicly expressed his animosity towards Mad-Eye Moody, but he did demonstrate a dislike for all of the previous Dark Arts teachers. Anytime Y/n saw Snape and Moody together, whether it was during mealtimes or in the corridors, it was like Snape avoided Moody's attention. "Can he become a ferret next?" Grace inquired.

"Please," Y/n continued, as the three continued walking.

In anticipation of Moody's first lesson, the Slytherin's arrived at class about twenty seconds before it started. Before Moody even asked, Y/n sat next to Grace and in front of Theo as she picked up her book from her tote bag. 

The sound of Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps signalled him to enter the room. He looked as strange and scary as ever. He could only be seen by his wooden foot, which protruded from beneath his robe.

"You will not need those books," he growled, stomping over to his desk before sitting down. "Put them away."

Before listening, Y/n furrowed her eyebrows and placed the book into her bag. While his magical eye was fixated on each student, Moody's normal eye moved steadily down the list, shaking out the register as he burst up. Moody shook out the register, shook his head, and yelled out names.

"I just received a letter from Professor Lupin explaining this course. According to my understanding, this class covers Boggarts, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Kappas, and Werewolves. Is that correct?"?

Whispers of approval were heard throughout the room. "But you're extremely behind in dealing with curses," Moody said to everybody as Y/n glanced back at Theo before turning back to face Moody. "So I'm here to explain to you what wizards are capable of doing to each other. I have one year to show you how to deal with Dark."

"Do you not intend to stay?" Ron asked.

Moody smiled after Ron appeared extremely nervous. This was Y/n's first time seeing Moody smile, and it was definitely frightening. Ron appeared to be elated. "So you will be Arthur Weasley's son, eh?" Moody asked. "Your father saved me a few days ago...I will stay for one year. As a special favour to Dumbledore, I will retire after one year."

Clapping his grubby hands together, he gave a harsh laugh. "Let's start with curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, according to the Ministry of Magic, I am supposed to teach you countercurses. I cannot tell you what illegal Dark curses look like until you are in your sixth year."

"You're not supposed to be old enough to deal with it till then. But Professor Dumbledore's got a higher opinion of your nerves, he reckons you can cope, and I say, the sooner you know what you're up against, the better."