4.5 ∣ friendly encounters

At breakfast the next morning, Y/n, Theo, and Grace examined their course schedules as heavy clouds of pewter grey swirled overhead as the storm had faded. "Erm...we've got Charms with Ravenclaw..." Theo mentioned looking at their schedules. "Then I have muggle studies, After magical creatures" Y/n and Grace both quietly groaned causing the boy to let out a laugh. 

Grace asked. "With whom?" she replied. 

"Gryffindor" 

Grace groaned this time, causing her to stop eating her breakfast and turn to Y/n while holding the same book at her side as she ate. "Are you going to groan with me?" she asked. 

Y/n looked over to her friend, "hopefully Draco would take one for the team again...and cut it short-" A rustling noise arose above them, and a hundred owls soared through the open windows carrying the morning mail. 

The black owl wasn't to be seen when she instinctively looked up. Circling the tables, they searched for the sender of the letters and packages. On the other side of the table, the eagle owl looked like Draco was carrying sweets and cakes from home. Seeing that neither Remus, Walburga, nor even Sirius wrote, her stomach sank with disappointment. It was then that she began to focus on her food. "At least we just have to deal with Ravenclaw, they aren't that bad" Grace mentioned, "I mean Luna isn't that bad..."

"I'm shocked you didn't get into Ravenclaw," Theo mentioned looking over at Y/n, causing her to look up from the book and stop fiddling with her 'Leo' necklace. "I mean, you have all of the traits..." 

"I would die," Y/n told him coldly, "because my mother warned me before I came to Hogwarts that I might end up like Sirius...well, not explicitly, but impliedly." She looked back down at the book that sat in her hand. 

After finishing breakfast, the three made their way towards Charms class with Professor Flitwick. During this lesson, they had to go over everything that they already learned for the upcoming O.W.L's testing in a year. "Try not to blow anything up," The Professor said, standing on multiple books to see the whole class. 

A glance around the room revealed Y/N looking up at Grace, who was sat next to her, making the blonde roll her eyes. She whispered, "One time, I was fooling around with your stupid cousin's feather, while Flitwick went over the instructions." 

A hush fell over Y/n as she replied, "I almost lost a finger". 

"You've still got it!" 

Flitwick called, "Girls," causing Y/n to turn and pay attention, her back straight and hands neatly placed on her lap. While shaking her head, Grace leans forward and rests her head on her hand
"Bubble-Head Charm"  does anyone know what it is?" Y/n raised her hand along with a couple of Ravenclaws, "Miss Black," 

The thing was Y/n, hated answering questions in classes but she knew it would look good when it comes to passing O.W.L's and classes. "The Bubble-Head Charm is the most effective spell for breathing underwater or in environments where fresh air is at a premium, supplying the user with oxygen..."

"Correct, ten points to Slytherin" The professor continued, Slytherins grinned exchanging looks while Y/n looked at the professor ready for the class to end. 

Following the buzz of the castle bell, the Ravenclaw class climbed the steps for transfiguration,  the class parted for the Forbidden Forest and the Slytherins started down the sloped lawn to Hagrid's small cabin at the edge of the Forbidden Forest.

In the cold morning air, Hagrid stood outside his hut, one hand on the collar of his enormous black boarhound, Fang. Many wooden crates with their contents exposed lay at Fang's feet, and he was whimpering and straining at his collar, apparently eager to examine the contents. As they approached closer, they heard a strange rattling sound punctuated by what sounded like minor explosions.