41

Three weeks later

6:35am Tuesday

Dare's POV

Dare's sleep was cut short by a call from Mr. Bakare. Cut short because he was up until 3:30am that morning waiting anxiously to hear from Gowon before he was able to close his eyes sometime around 4am.

"Hello" Dare was a little bit groggy but very much attentive because his sleep was still in the light stage.

"We need to talk" Chief said, almost in a whisper.

"Okay...." He cleared his throat "I'll be there in an hour," He added.

Dare fell back in his bed after the call. He wanted to catch 30 more minutes of sleep because he knows today is going to be a long day but as he recapped the events that led up to this, the sleep cleared from his eyes completely.

So, Alhaji Buba was arrested in Abu Dhabi 4 hours ago by Interpol for EFCC and is currently being extradited to Abuja. No one knows about this yet because everything from the investigation to the arrest warrant, to the extradition request was top-secret.

Gowon said the EFCC would hold a press conference as soon as he is taken into custody. Dare is not even surprised Mr. Bakare has heard already, the old Man has a lot of ears on the ground, he is only surprised at how fast the news got to him.

Chief was not part of the plan, he was in the dark the whole time. It was just him, the Minister and Gowon. Mostly Gowon actually.

That Sunday evening when Gowon dropped by, they had a long chat and honestly, after everything Gowon said Dare felt it was his duty, as a human being to turn in the evidence to the authorities because if he did not then he would be an abettor by virtue of his silence.

Dare had everything the EFCC needs to successfully prosecute Alhaji Buba. Not just for the embezzlement and Money laundering crimes, he also had hard evidence of Alhaji Buba's terrorism financing activities. Dare didn't even know about the terrorism part but Gowon linked it all up for him with receipts.

When Dare met with the Minister of Petroleum weeks back, he signaled her to officially forward the names of the companies that participated in the bidding round to the EFCC for 'extra vetting' as proposed by Gowon and that was all he had to do.

See ehhn, you don't want to be Gowon's enemy, that guy has people in every arm of the Government, in every MDA, in every city. His plan was so elaborate and meticulous and the funniest part is no one knows he orchestrated it all. All the files were sent anonymously, he has one cyber-security guy that handled the sharing of evidence files with the various authorities without it being traced back to them.

The EFCC is happily taking all the credit because this is going to be their first real big catch in a years.

Dare is sha happy the Alhaji Buba problem has been sorted, he can now focus on other matters in the Company. The news of his arrest will break later in the day, the Minister will meet with the President tomorrow to quietly revoke the award and reallocate it to another Company, a real Company.

He knows Mr. Bakare won't like this, this is a little bit extreme but, fuck it! Alhaji deserves this.

7:45am

The Bakare Residence

"It has come to my attention that....Alhaji Buba was detained this morning?" Chief asked calmly. It was a loaded question, he wanted to know if Dare had something to do with it.

They were on one of the many balconies in Chief's mansion where Dare had met him indulging in his green tea and watching the sunrise over the Lagos Lagoon. Both men were leaned over the balcony rails with Dare all dressed up for work while Chief was still in his indoor Jellabiya.