Dodam- 'Shooting Stars'

°Yedam x Doyoung

°The whole chapter has lots of mentions of death. I suggest you not to proceed if you find it hard to take. However, just saying that it's not angst :)

♡♡♡

How does it feel to stand in between life and death?

Does it hurt?

Does it make you wanna give up?

Or does it make you wanna stand up even stronger, so that you can come back to the wonderful world, alive?

I don't know, I never felt something like this. But there are people who actually come back, and live to tell the tale.

Kim Doyoung wasn't one of them. He didn't come back in the arms of his childless wife who spent almost 12 years of her life just by loving him and taking care of him selflessly. No, she didn't want an eternity with Doyoung because she was pragmatic, but she never thought she'd lose him merely at his 40's. She had held Doyoung's writhing body firmly until it lost the life it had.

It felt, as if, amidst all the twisting of his body were the sufferings of his life, but it was still him- breathing and staying alive. But when the contortions stopped- so did everything about him.

It was hollow, numb, abysmal- it was empty and hopeless. But at least, he's free from his sufferings, right? He had experienced so much pain throughout his life- maybe he's sleeping peacefully now?

.

.

.

Doyoung felt light. He wasn't chubby or even 'healthy'. He was always light weighted. But he felt even lighter, as if he could float in the air. He sat up, and whoa! He did it without any pain like he used to! Suffering from the incurable cancer and taking all the therapies made his body feel so sore- but suddenly, everything was gone! He looked straight ahead of him. The boring hospital walls greeted him. He sighed, he wouldn't ever escape the room, right?

Hearing some sounds of immense sobbing coming from his side, Doyoung looked for the source. He saw his wife, crying with her face hidden on the bed and one of her hand extended ahead of her. Doyoung felt a sharp pain inside him. For a while, he thought it was because of the cancer, but no. He was pained because his wife was crying.

And she was crying because of him.

Doyoung lost the love of his life in his early twenties. When he was supposed to have the best life with his lover, possessing each other's youth proudly, he couldn't. Because of that vicious day bringing him the most terrible news he could ever imagine.

'Bang Yedam, 23, died from a tragic car crash.'

Doyoung was so devastated at that time that he even tried to take his own life, but this woman, sitting right next to him, crying her heart out in hope for her husband to be 'cured'- helped him through. She invested her whole life just to save Doyoung from his terrible past and give him a better life. She knew, she never had Doyoung's heart that died with his lover years ago. But that didn't stop her from marrying Doyoung on a bright sunny day just so she could always stand by him and look after him.

Her love for Doyoung was unreturned yet endless.

And now she was crying so hard by his side. It automatically made Doyoung want to reach her head and comfort her even though he was on the verge of death.

Doyoung did try to touch her head, but to no use. His hand slipped right through her head as if his hand was made of thin air. He tried again, but the same thing happened. Doyoung held his hand in front of his eyes and only then did he notice- his hands weren't like those he was used to see- rough, veiny and masculine. Instead, he saw the delicate hands he had during his twenties, when he used to take extra care of his body.