seventy-seven.

Adam March stood on the grass of a small area near the ferry of the Outer Banks, his hand gripping a flier, the flier sporting the face of Kiara Carrera. He had been sent out by his parents, sent out to listen to what the Sheriff had to say about the missing Pogues, because they didn't have the heart to leave the house.

Adam sucked in a deep breath, lifting his eyes from the paper finally and looking up at the water. He wondered if his sister was out there somewhere, dead, or if she was okay and just gone. He felt his chest ache as tears came to his eyes, the boy looking back down at the flyer before sniffling.

Not knowing where she was was harder than knowing that she was gone, the uncertainty of it all making him more distressed. The Cameron family was noticeably missing, something that Adam had picked up on of course.  He hoped that Rafe hadn't gotten to her, that she was missing with those other five and not stuck somewhere with him.

It was easy to blame himself, knowing that if he was a good older brother, he would have protected her better. Instead he had only encouraged her to go out and get hurt, go missing, he hadn't stopped her like his parents had tried to.

A twinge of guilt ran through him at the thought of his parents, Adam remembering the way his mother couldn't even leave her bed from the grief. She had just gotten her daughter back, and now she was lost again. His father had tried to be strong for the family, but that had fallen apart the second the other parents filed missing persons reports. Adam had felt like a whole had been punched through his chest as he realized that there was no one to step up and find her, his parents wouldn't be able to do it.  He wondered if she was suffering, if she was dying, or if she was scared or in pain.

The boy got on his bike, pulling his helmet over his head as he tried to keep his tears from falling. He recounted memories from his childhood, the time when he had taught his sister how to swim, how to ride a bike. The time when he punched a boy in middle school for being mean to her, and all the times that they had spent sitting and watching movies together, laughing, being family.

He wondered if that time was over, if he would ever see her again. If they would ever make another memory or if the ones he already had were the only ones he would get. He vowed to find her, the boy knowing that he had to if he ever wanted to have his family back.  She was the glue that held them together, and without her they had fallen apart. Adam figured that he would stop at nothing to bring his sister home.

:::

Zach Roberts sat in his hospital bed,  his eyes staring down at the phone in his lap. It had only been mere days since he had last seen the March girl, and now she was missing again. He felt intense guilt in his chest, realizing that their last conversation hadn't been the happiest. He scrolled through their texts, a watery smile coming to his lips as he tried not to cry.

"Where are you?" He whispered into the still air, running a hand over his face as he put the phone down. Zach pulled the blanket off of his lap, his bright green cast making him scowl. He pushed himself up, making his way slowly towards the window.

He found solace in looking out at the ocean, knowing that she had to be somewhere out there. He had spent a copious amount of time thinking while he was in the hospital, and he had realized that it was time to let her go. Except he didn't mean it like this.

He thought back to when he was told that she was dead, the way the grief had hit him. It hurt less than this, not knowing where she was, if she was alive, or if she would ever return.

It was even strange that Zach felt a twinge of despair at the thought of all the Pogues being missing, considering he had forged somewhat of an alliance with them. He couldn't help but think of how boring and lonely the island would be without them, something he would never admit out loud.

Zach turned away from the window, making his way towards the bed again, one thing in his mind as he did. All he hoped was that June was okay, and he would stop at  nothing to bring her home.

____________

I don't wanna post the last chapter because I'm sad 😭

Someone tell me to do it anyways 😭😭