fourteen.

June waited in the tall grass, the sweat dripping from her forehead as she waited for the signal. Her, John B, and Sarah had only been out in the grass for about 20 minutes, but the heat was starting to get to June. John B had given her the gun back, the girl having hugged him tighter  than she ever had before. Now the cool metal was digging into her hip, the grooves making her skin itch.

Sarah's phone rang,  the other two looking to her as she answered it. She pressed the speaker button, John B and June sharing a look.

"They got a truck and two defenders." Stubbs said, Sarah immediately answering.

"But just my dad in the truck with the gold right?" June closed her eyes as she asked, hoping that Stubbs would say yes.

"It's two in the truck." Stubbs announced, June's heart dropping to her stomach.

"Two?" John B asked.

"Rafe." The two girls said at the same time, June feeling the sudden urge to be sick. She turned away from the other two, folding her arms behind her head and  letting out a groan as she crouched down.  She punched the ground, feeling the pit in her stomach grow as  Sarah soon hung up the phone. They had been warned that there were two defenders, all of them armed to the teeth with AKs.

"Fuck! Of course he's here." June said, feeling fear creep into her body as she thought of everything Rafe had done to her. She finally turned back around, making her way to the other two and adjusting the hat on her head.

"Does the plan change now that Rafes here?"  June asked, her arms wrapping around her stomach as she tried not to throw up from her newfound nerves. John B shook his head, noticing the way her face was covered in a nervous look.

"No. Terrance and Cleo can handle them. We just need to get the truck okay? Remember the plan. And remember that none of us... none of us are gonna go rogue." John B said, looking between the two girls. He spoke to Sarah as well, knowing that this was her brother and her dad. It wouldn't be easy.

"Okay." June said, taking her hat off and running a hand through her hair. She liked the dirty red cap she had on her head, it reminded her of JJs red hat that he always wore, the one that he often liked to push onto her head. She smiled at the thought, pulling the hat back onto her head and pulling the front down a bit.

The three teens sat in silence for awhile, the air tense and the nerves evident as they all waited impatiently for Ward and Rafe to show up. June stood, stretching as the other two shared a look, following suit and quickly getting up to stretch.  June bent down, John B reaching his hand out and grabbing the gun from her pants, his finger brushing against her skin and  making her jump. She watched as he loaded it, her eyes widening as he grabbed the waistband of her shorts, shoving it back into her side.

"Thanks." She said, pulling the fabric of her sweatshirt down so that it was covering her midriff again. He nodded, giving her a quick smile as he walked over to Sarah. Just as June turned her head to look at the road the phone dinged, a message lighting up the screen. They had just cross the bridge. The plan became real now, all of them sucking in a deep breath.

"Here we go." John B said, Sarah squeaking out a 'yeah' in response. They all turned their attention towards the road, a chill going down June's spine as she realized she was mere minutes away from seeing Ward and Rafe. The people who singlehandedly ruined her life.