fifty-eight.

After a ridiculous amount of time convincing JJ she would be fine, June was seated on  the floor, her knees pulled to her chest as she waited for them to return. She was humming a tune, the girl picking at her cuticles as she started to get bored, not only bored but lonely. Her curiosity got the best of her, Junes eyes falling on the cross  that was laying on the ground in the church.

June crawled over,  her knees scraping against the wood as she sat beside the cross. She lifted her fingers, her eyes observing the marvelous piece of art in front of her. She touched it and it was almost as if the worth of it was immediately clear, June in awe at the sight of all the details on it.

A twig broke somewhere outside of the door, June turning her head quickly, her eyes narrowing as she searched for the source of the noise. She didn't hear anything else, the girl furrowing her eyebrows and looking back at the cross. Her lips parted as she looked at the gold, the girl realizing this was a second chance for all of her friends, Pope would get to go to school and losing the scholarship didn't even matter.

"Well this day just keeps getting better and better." June jumped at the sound of the familiar voice, her stomach dropping into a pit and her heart leaping to her throat. She pushed herself off of the ground, looking towards the door where Rafe Cameron was standing. "This is just perfect. Seriously. Perfect."  Rafe said, the boy tilting his head at her as he sent her a chilling smile, his eyes narrowing. June's voice was stuck in her throat, the girl unsure what to say as Rafe finally looked past her, his eyebrows raising as he looked at the cross on the floor.

"Looks like you found it for me. How nice of you." His threatening tone was enough to make June's blood boil, her heart beating so frantically in her chest that she thought it would fly out in a few moments. Rafe pursed his lips as his eyes travelled back to June ever so slowly, the thing he cared about most in the room, his hand raising as he narrowed them.

There was something about him now, something particularly villainous shrouding him as June stood in shock, her arms at her side as he studied her. He clicked his tongue, a humorless chuckle falling from his lips as he took a single step closer to her, June dropping her eyes to his foot.

"Where's your friends June? I know you didn't find this yourself." He took another step, June gulping as she realized the danger she was in. Pope was hurt, there was no way they would be back anytime soon.  Rafe took a few more steps, the two of them not far from each other now as he looked at her with an expectant look, June trying to think of what to say.

"They're on their way back. They're coming." June said, her voice shaking as she did so. She closed her eyes as he stopped, the girl realizing how completely unconvincing she had sounded. Rafe bit his lip, the boy scratching his cheek as he gave her a nod.

"So I take it they're not coming back anytime soon." Rafe said, nodding his head as footsteps sounded from outside the door.

"Rafe did you find it?" Renfield said as he pushed through the church door, his eyes falling on June and then falling on the cross on the floor. He hurried over, a smile on his face as he went to walk towards the cross but June was quick to get in front of him, the girl shaking her head.

"No! No. I'm not gonna let you have it."  June stood her ground, the two men sharing a look as she said it. Rafe let out a laugh, Renfield joining as  Rafe took a step forwards.

"Move June. Or I'll move you." Rafe said, getting in her face.  June shook her head, the fear in her eyes evident as she stared up at Rafe. He let out a sigh, glaring at her for a moment before grabbing her by the biceps, pushing her to the side. June stumbled,  falling onto her ass but quickly rebounding, the girl running over and jumping in front of the cross again.