forty-eight.

Sarah had in fact come back, and not only did she come back, she had broken up with John B and left. Shock had been all that June could feel when John B had told her and JJ, her eyes wide and mouth dropped open. JJ had petitioned to get some beers, Kie offering to go with and June opting to stay back with Pope and John B.

Now the three of them were laying on the HMS Pogue,  June laid between Pope and John B, all of them looking up at the sky. John B was the first one to break the silence.

"I don't get it. I don't." John B said, June and Pope keeping their eyes on the sky. Her heart went out to John B, him and Sarah had fallen for each other about as fast as her and JJ had, and she knew how much losing that love hurt. 

"Love is five minutes of pleasure fora lifetime of pain." It was then that June remembered Pope and Kie had been together, but clearly those things hadn't worked out. June sighed from between them, both of the boys giving her a side eye as she kept her mouth shut.

"Yeah don't even think about saying anything Ms. I'm-in-a-happy-relationships." Pope said, shaking his head as he looked back up at the sky.

"So okay...you and Kie. What's going on? Talk to me." John B said, sitting up. June shot you beside him, pointing at herself.

"Talk to us." She said, punching John B in the chest as she gave Pope a  supportive smile. The Heyward boy sniffled, sitting up as John B rubbed the spot on his chest.

"Um...well. She just wants to be friends." Pope revealed, June grimacing as John B let out a sigh.

"Death blow." The boy said, looking out at the water with a disappointed look.

"Shit." June said, pulling her knees to her chest as she say all the way up.

"I'm sorry man." John B said, patting Pope on the shoulder.

"I...I didn't even see it coming."  Pope said, his voice thick as they all looked out at the water. June felt bad, getting a peak inside the heartache that everyone was facing. She felt bad for not taking the time to check on the  others during the midst of her shit storm. She dropped her hand onto Popes knee, giving him a small smile as she heard feet pounding on the wood above them.

"Hot potato, hot potato, hot potato!" JJs voice was a breath of fresh air to the tense conversation they were just having, the blonde throwing a beer towards the boat. It hit June in the forehead on the way down, the girl falling back and off the side of the Pogue.

"Impressive catch!" Kie yelled, all of them holding back laughs as June came out of the water, pure anger on her face.

"Are you fucking kidding? Really you asshole?!" June said, her hand pressed to her head as John B and Pope pulled her out of the water and back onto the Pogue.

"Aw I'm sorry baby. You gotta be more prepared when hot potato comes out." JJ said from the  dock, shrugging as he held the beers in his hands. June grit her teeth but dropped it for now, smiling and letting the others know it was okay to laugh as she pressed a hand to her forehead. She flipped the blonde off as he spoke, the boy returning the favor.

"What are you guys doing down here? Having a good cry?" JJ asked, throwing John B another beer before looking between the three of them. He blew June a kiss, the girl pretending to catch it, throwing it on the ground and stomping on it.