thirty-eight.

Rafe Cameron's hand covered June Marchs mouth,the sweat gathering on the nape of her neck as she struggled against his grip. He pushed his face into her hair, his arm wrapped around her neck as she tried to slap at it. He flexed, making the breath catch in her throat before he relaxed, June sucking in air as he allowed her to breathe again.

"Shh, shhh please don't scream. I just- I wanna talk. Please don't scream." Rafe whispered into her hair, his voice so dangerously low that even June struggled to hear it. "Will you please not scream?" Rafe asked, June's heaving breathing coming to a halt as she nodded her head. He let her go, his face pulling away from her ear as she pushed him back, immediately putting as much space between them as possible.

"What the fuck Rafe?!" June whisper yelled, her eyes wide as she felt the fear gripping her bones. The first thing he did was lift his hands, showing her that he came in peace. It was then that she followed his hands up to his face, noticing how red it was and how upset he looked. His eyes were red and irritated, showing her that he had been crying recently, and the tears were already brimming his eyes as he looked at the girl that he loved.

"P-please. June please let me explain." He pleaded, June feeling her breath catch in  her throat as his voice broke at the end of his sentence. She remembered now that his father had just died, had just killed himself in a sacrifice for his family name to be cleared, for Rafe to be free. He killed himself for Rafe.

"Rafe..." June's voice was shaky as she clenched her fists, trying to think of how to talk to him without making things worse and without driving him over the edge. "...you need to leave." The panic in her eyes was enough to make him lift his hands to his head, pulling at the ends of his hair as he turned away from her, gritting his teeth.

"June please! Please let me talk to you. I just want to talk!" Rafe said, turning back around and getting closer to her. June threw her hands up, taking a few more steps so that she was further away from him.

"Rafe I don't want to talk to you. I want you to leave."

"No June- I- I did it for you. I cleared your name so that you could come home. I did it so that we could-"

"We could what Rafe? Be together?" June asked, her eyebrows furrowing as she gestured between them. The way that he gulped confirmed her suspicions, June top lip curling up in near disgust. "Rafe no..."

"Listen to me. I'm- you and I- June I can't stop thinking about you. I cant sto-"

"You need to leave Rafe. You need to leave."

"—ever since I found out you were alive I've thought about every way I could make it up to you. How I could make things right for you and me. I-"

"There's no you and me Rafe. No." June was trying to reason with him as he spoke, the girl shaking her head frantically as he took steps closer to her. He looked panicked, as if this was his last chance and he was clinging onto it for dear life.

"June ple-"

"Rafe go home."

"—I need you."

"Rafe you need to go home."

"Listen to me."

"No I can't, you need to  leave Rafe." June said, breathing frantically as he backed her into the corner. She felt her heartbeat picking up rapidly, her fear becoming evident on her face as he continued to beg for her to listen. June continued to shake her head, trying to get her point across to the Cameron boy who was not willing to drop it. He continued to ask her to listen as she kept telling him no, June lifting her arms as she gestured between them.