~THIRTY-FIVE~

THIRTY-FIVE: Target Practice

Words: 779 (including non-story related words such as these)

Author's Note: helloo
***

Gunshots echoed throughout the forest.

Ali was on her knees, her hands clutched around her father's old pistol. A few metres ahead of her were a few empty cans lined along in a row. She aimed her pistol at the cans, took a deep breath and pulled the trigger five times.

The shots were like a melody. One shot hit a can each time.

Five cans fell over and Ali lowered the gun.

She walked over to a stump of a log and grabbed her water container that sat on it. She took a sip.

As she drank her water to cool down, she heard a small ruffle behind her. Her hand tightened around the pistol.

"Who's there?" She asked, her back still turned.

"It's just me." A familiar voice said quickly. "Please don't shoot me."

Ali put her container down but rose her pistol. She turned around.

"Kaspbrak." She smirked, but it wasn't her usual friendly smirk. It was more of an amused smirk. One she would give to an annoying toddler on the bus.

"You weren't picking up your phone." Eddie said nervously. "So I came here. Your aunt said you'd be in the forest. She's really nice, she offered to give me a cookie."

"I thought your mommy didn't want you calling up disgusting girls like me." Ali scoffed. She lowered her pistol and went back to facing the cans.

"Ali, you know you're not-" Eddie began to say but Ali didn't wanna hear it.

"What do you want, Kaspbrak." Ali rolled her eyes, her finger on the trigger, about to shoot at another can.

"It-"

Before Eddie could say another word, Ali pulled the trigger and the sound of a gunshot and a can toppling over interrupted him.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Ali pretended to be sorry but aimed at another can.

"I said-"

Another gunshot. Ali was smirking.

Eddie couldn't help feel a little frustrated. Things were at stake here. He didn't have time for this. They had to get to Beverly before-

Another gunshot. This one missed the can but it impaled a tree.

"Ali, please-"

Another gunshot. This one taking out a can.

"Ali-"

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Three shots this time, each one taking down another can.

"Please liste-"

Another shot. This one impaled another tree.

"I don't have time for-"

Another shot.

"Ali-"

Another shot.

"Can you sto-"

Ali was about to pull the trigger but Eddie grabbed the pistol out of her hands and tossed it to the ground.

"Goddamit, Ali!" He shrieked. "It has Beverly! It got her!"

Ali's eyes flashed with anger for a second but then Eddie's words fully sunk in.

"Wait. What?"

"It-it has her." Eddie said, a little calmer this time but his voice was shaky. "The clown. Bill just told me. I called everyone else. We all need to go to Neibolt to save her. I tried calling you but you wouldn't pick up so I came here..." He sighed. "Ali, I'm sorry for what I did that day but we don't have time right now. We have to go."

Ali looked shocked. Eddie looked at the pistol on the ground that he had practically slapped out of her hand.

"I'm sorry about the gun..." He shifted his weight foot to foot awkwardly.

Ali shook her head, bending down to pick up the gun. "Let's go then."

"You're bringing the gun?" Eddie asked.

Ali didn't reply but instead rushed toward her water container. Beside the container was what seemed like a toolbox. She opened it and took out some small little metal balls that Eddie could only assume were bullets. She shoved them into the pistol (dirty-minded people keep your thoughts to yourself ;)) before running toward the exit of the forest.

Eddie followed and the pair of them got to their bikes.

As they were getting on their bikes, Ali noticed the cast on Eddie's arm. He was moving his arm just fine like any kid with a normal arm would. She couldn't get why he was wearing one.

But she was also looking at the giant "LOSER" written across it.

"What's with the cast?" Ali couldn't help asking.

Eddie's cheeks reddened, embarrassed.

"Nothing. Just my mom and her manipulative ways."

He had meant to sound sarcastic but his voice came out guilty and ashamed. Ali thought him saying what he said was a shot at her so she looked away and began to pedal.

The pair of them raced for Neibolt, hearts thundering about if Beverly was okay, and about each other.