~ONE~

ONE: Cancer Sticks

ONE: Cancer Sticks

Words: 1107 (including non-story related words such as these)

Author's note: ok but sophia lillies- how is she so damn prettyy

~edited :)~

***

Ali Sumner walked out into the hallway as the school bell rang. Hundreds of kids flooded the corridor alongside her and they all bumped into each other, ecstatic that school was finally out.

"They cut the tip of his dick off." Ali overheard someone say. She cringed, walking away to make sure she didn't catch any more of the conversation than she needed to.

She walked along until she reached the girls' bathroom. She entered the bathroom and made her way to the nearest stall.

She could smell cigarette smoke coming from another one of the stalls but ignored it and took out her own pack of Marlboro.

She took a cigarette out and cursed under her breath when she saw it was the last one. Annoyed, she tossed the empty pack into the trashcan and lit her last cigarette with the lighter in her jean pockets.

She lit it, took a puff and sat back, relaxed. It had been the first time she'd felt relieved the entire day.

She hated this school. She had only been there for two months - having moved to Derry not even three months ago - but she already hated it to bits.

All the girls didn't want anything to do with her because she was a bad influence - which she found to be a fair call - using language that would have make her own aunt weep, while boys didn't want nothing to do with her because of Greta Bowie's stupid rumours about her being a slut and thieving anybody that gets too close to her.

Ali had gotten her revenge though. She grabbed Greta's ponytail once, and she tugged until she bawled.

Ali got detention for that stunt but it was definitely worth it.

Ali jumped when there was a sudden 'boom!' as somebody entered the bathroom, slamming the door behind them.

Whoever it was, kicked at the stall beside Ali's, the one with the fellow smoker.

"Are you in there by yourself, Beaver-ly?" They sneered. "Or do you have half the guys at school with you, huh, slut? I know you're in there, little shit, I can smell you. No wonder you don't have any friends!"

As soon as the first few words came out of her loud mouth, Ali instantly recognized who they were.

"Which is it, Greta?" The fellow smoker sighed, defeated. "Am I a slut? Or a little shit? Make up your mind."

"You're trash." Ali could hear the smirk in Greta's voice. "We just wanted to remind you."

Ali heard the ruffle of a trashbag and that was when she knew she was gonna have to intervene.

Putting out her last cigarette, -her damned cigarette- and tossing it on the ground, Ali stepped out of her stall.

Two other girls, Violet and Veronica, were there too. Ali recognized them because they had helped Greta dump trash on her on her third day of school.

"If it isn't the devil's daughter herself." Greta snarled when she saw Ali.

"Damn right I am." Ali retorted. "Hm, I'm surprised you're here. Could've sworn momma had a rule against letting her hellhounds walk around by themselves..."

Greta glared at her. She can spray insults at someone for half an hour and still have fifty thousand insults left, but comebacks were surprisingly not her forte.

"What are you doing here, slut?" Greta narrowed her eyes. "Does this bathroom attract losers or something?"

"Probably." Ali shrugged. "I mean, you're here, aren't you?"

Greta scoffed, not knowing what else to say or do. Violet and Veronica - though they would never say it out loud in front of Greta - were scared of Ali.

She was known to be rough if she wanted to.

A few weeks ago, she had kicked their principal in the nuts after he tried to confiscate her pack of cigarettes.

The only reason she hadn't been expelled was because their principal wasn't too big a fan of involuntary vasectomies.

They may have been dumb enough to be Greta's goonies, but they weren't stupid enough to mess with Ali-fucking-Sumner.

Greta though, had too big a pride to ever step down against Ali. She could pull her hair off her scalp for all she cared. She wasn't, and never will, back down from a fight against this loser.

"Y'know what? I don't give a shit to know why you're here, but back off." Greta fumed. "We're here for Beverly now, we'll deal with you some other day but if you try to interfere, we'll-"

"You'll what?" Ali smirked. "Beat me up? Cry? Tattle? I'd like to see you try."

Greta crossed her arms. "Just back off, okay?"

"Naw." Ali crossed her arms. "I think it's about time you get it through that thick skull of yours, that you're really not the shit."

Greta knew that even if she continued, Ali would still never back down so not knowing what else to say or do, she motioned to her friends.

"Come on, girls." Greta tried not to show the defeat on her face. "This bathroom's been infested anyway. Let's go."

Greta headed for the door and her friends followed.

"I'll see you in hell, pet!" Ali flipped her off before leaning back on her stall door. "You can come out now, Marsh. They're gone."

A pretty red-haired girl in a blue dress slowly emerged from her stall, a relieved expression on her face.

Beverly Marsh and Ali Sumner have never talked but they each had a great deal of respect for the other. They were both school outcasts, both wrongfully identified as the school sluts and both admired how tough the other was.

Ali had figured out it was Beverly Marsh in that stall when Greta mentioned her name. Which other Beverly in the school could she be terrorizing other than Beverly Marsh?

"Thanks for that." Beverly said quietly. "The trash stink takes days to come off and summer just started."

"Tell me about it." Ali snorted.

She had had her share of trash stink-filled days before she decided to grow a pair and stand up for herself.

She noticed Beverly take a pack of half-full Marlboro and take a cigarette out. She looked on enviously, but didn't say anything.

"Really, though." Beverly took out a lighter. "Thanks, Sumner. Is there anything I can do to pay you back?"

Ali smiled, eyeing the pack in her hand. "Pass me a cancer stick, and we can call it even."

Beverly grinned. "Sure thing."