Chapter Fifty Five

Start from the beginning

"Perfect, see you soon."

"I'm looking forward to it. Give me an hour or so before you come over so I can tidy up."

As soon as she was gone, Kamila poked her head into my room. "Now you get to see her."

"Yeah but I have to figure out what to wear. I know we're just hanging out at her place but I need to look sexy doing it."

"Plus she might change her mind and you might end up going out."

Normani
I met you in the dark
You lit me up
You made me feel as though
I was enough

Not roses, roses are cliché. I shoved my hand back into my pocket, humming along to the song and swaying back and forth with Noah as I continued staring at the bouquets that surrounded me, not entirely sure which one to pick.

"Hi, can I help?"

"Uhm... yes please, if you don't mind."

"What are you looking for?"

"Flowers for this woman I'm seeing. She likes to know the meaning behind flowers like she has books and everything. And she always used to tell me what they meant when I would get them for her before. I should be good at choosing flowers by now, but last time I gave her a bouquet that had aconites in it."

The florist grimaced, "Okay yes, you definitely need my help. Describe her to me." When I frowned she quickly explained. "I know it's weird, but it's part of my process."

"Imagine the color yellow," I began. "That's kind of what I see when I think of her. And it's more than just the fact that she can be really... spirited. It's the first smile she gives you in the morning. It's slow, kind of like spring flowers opening up and starts from this place deep inside of her before it spreads into every part of her body. Since we started dating, she sends me a selfie every morning as soon as she wakes up, then my day can fully begin. It's like I need to see her smile and Noah's to fully be able to function."

I looked down at him, a smile tugging on my lips. "Imagine a plant that grows as though its feet are planted in the same soils that the hanging gardens sprung from. She's like the best epilogue you've ever read. That last sentence etched into your soul by some unfathomable force. She has the biggest heart in the world, protected by the flimsiest walls built to the ceiling. She's... amazing, adorable, and a hopeless romantic."

It was the way excitement would begin its dance whenever I was going to see her. It felt like an explosion, fireworks after the ball drops in Times Square, the good sort. The kind that carried more possibilities than I had thought to conjure up. It was the way every nerve in my body was electrified after she kissed me, the smile that I couldn't wipe off my face for the rest of the night.

"Wow..." I turned to look back at the teary-eyed florist. "I'm sorry, it's not every day that I hear something that moves me."

I quirked an eyebrow,  "You don't get many clueless men or women buying flowers?"

"No I do," she let out a quiet laugh. "I get plenty of those. I get people who have something to apologize as though a plant can somehow be the bandaid that saves their relationships a little longer. I get people buying flowers for their mothers, I do weddings. But it's not often that I meet people that I'm really rooting for. In the sense that if I had a wish, I'd use it to make sure the universe doesn't pull them apart."

"You'd do that? For Dinah and I even though you know nothing about either one of us and for all you care, I could be lying through my teeth."

"You could tell me you hate her and the look in your eyes would tell me something different."