MORE THAN A SYMBOL

G-et into God's Word

2 Samuel 23:13-17

'During harvest time, three of the thirty chief warriors came down to David at the cave of Adullam, while a band of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. David longed for water and said, "Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!" So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord . "Far be it from me, Lord , to do this!" he said. "Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?" And David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty warriors. ' 

R-eflect into God's Word

How do we value others?

On the verge of making team history, the University of Iowa basketball star Jordan Bohannon intentionally missed the free throw that would have been broken a twenty-five-year old school record because, in 1993, he lost his life in a car crash, Bohannon chose to honor Street's memory by not breaking his record.

He showed a keen awareness of things more important than his own advancement.
We similar values in the life of the young warrior David. Hiding in a cave with his ragtag army, David longed for a drink from the well 8n his hometown of Bethlehem, but the dreaded Philistines occupied the area (v.14-15).

In a stunning act of bravery, three of Davids, warriors "broke through the Philistines lines," got the water, and brought it to David. But David couldn't bring himself to drink it. Instead, he "poured it out before the Lord," saying, "Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?" (v 16-17).

In a world that often rewards those who seize whatever they can grasp, how powerful acts of love and sacrifice can be! Such deeds are much more than mere symbols.

O-bey to transform

Instead of advancing your own agenda, how can you celebrate someone else and their efforts? How do our acts of love reflect God's own?

W-restle in Prayer 

Ask God to guide your heart today. Rearrange your priorities so that you value the needs of others as well as your own.

#ValueOthers

-----------------------------------------------------------

https://my.bible.com/bible/111/2SA.23.13-17