Chapter 29

What I'm Thankful For

(IK THE GRAPHIC SUCKS BUT I TRIED)

TODAY WAS THE DAY I DREDDED WAITING FOR, it was like slowly dying...The Thanksgiving Gala, it's currently Saturday, 11/25/23, 4:30 pm and I was almost ready. I couldn't care less if I was late though. The later the better in my opinion. 

"I'm so excited!" Rita hollered for like...the hundredth time bouncing in her tight red dress that Lilith couldn't stop gawking at her in. I also went against my mother's wishes and wore a black dress, I'd never been happier to go against her wishes as I was now.    

It's not a funeral Thea

Fuck that. It's going to be the loss between me and my family I'll be celebrating by the end of the night. I'm not going to expose her for the emotional abuse she caused because she still has a family to provide for...but that'll be the total end of our communication. No more galas, no more Christmas, birthdays. I couldn't care less. She will never be my mother...not like she ever was. But I was sacrificing so much over a mother that strove beyond perfection. I was giving up a relationship with my brother, with my father, and with my grandmother. Only like...my favorite person in this entire family other than Pia and Cass. I really wish I didn't have to. 

I walk into the bathroom ignoring the chatter amongst my dorm room and slip on the black satin dress on the hanger. It would be a huge understatement to say it looked flawless. The dress had a band wrapped around my neck so that my back was exposed. It looked beyond ideal. I walked back out and Zaya with her dramatics fell limp against my bed pretending to pass out. 

"HOT DAMN!" She yelled, "I think that Cardan will have a heart attack when he sees you"

"I mean...I hope not" I reply and look into the mirror one more time, I went for a neutral makeup look with dark red lipstick and small silver hoop earrings. I placed my hair in a messy high ponytail on top of my head.     

"Give me your tips," Rita said while sitting on Liliths lap and I just shrugged, "Be yourself and let your inner artist out" I joked

Rita and Lilith were matching in dangerous bright reds, Rita's ginger hair curled around her face with nude lipstick on and her highlighter making her face glow. Zaya was in an emerald green v-line dress with a slit following up her bronzed leg leading to strap gold heels.