Chapter 23

❝ Change occurs when you step out of your ignorant ways and actually pay attention ❞ - Me :)

But She's Black...

I KEPT MY FINGER on the green button that could make or break my future if touched at the wrong moment. My focus was so on the voices in the kitchen that I hadn't noticed the footsteps of a lady coming out of the restroom drying her hands until she let out a pitchy scream. My sunglasses restricting her from seeing who I am. 

"WHAT THE FUCK?! FINN THERE'S AN INTRUDER, SHE'S BLACK AND HAS MY CLOTHES ON AHHH!!! CALL THE POLICE!" She flinched back when she saw me and grabbed a Glock 19 that was in the drawer of the end table near the door and pointed it at me. My eyes widened and tears stung my eyes as I dropped my phone and put my hands up in the air. But the only words registering in my mind were,  

She's black

"First of all, I'm bi-racial, and Second-" 

"FINNN!!! SHE'S THREATENING ME, HELP MEEEEEEE!!" She screeched again, and a man who I presumed was Finn ran into the living room with Cardan hot on his trail with a terrified look when he spotted the gun pointed at me. 

Emphasis on the hot 

You have a mad lady pointing a gun at you- 

My lips quivered and my eyes watered further as she came closer with the gun now pointing it at my chest where my heart laid, "WHY AREN'T YOU DOING ANYTHING?? SHE'S GOING TO ROB US!"

"Nik, baby...give me the gun down, she's not going to hurt us, right?" I furiously shake my head with tears running down my cheeks. He came close to her slowly grabbed the barrel of the gun and put the safety back on. Once Cardan saw the gun was down he came running to me and wrapped his arms around me tucking my head toward his chest. 

I heard the distant sound of yelling but I didn't care, I fisted my fingers in his shirt and cried. My mother had told me so many times how racism and racial profiling were never going to end and that people of color were always going to be terrorized no matter how successful they appear, no matter how 'normal' they act. Looks were always superior to personalities.   

"B-but I thought s-she-" She wept at her husband's yelling, "BUT NOTHING! That's his girlfriend Nik! I told you to only use that gun if you were in recognizable danger, she had her hands up for God's sake!" He rubbed his forehead releasing the tension within it and now she was sitting down on one of the plush lounge couches the gun back safely in the drawer. 

"You were so quick to assume just because she's black! SO WHAT?" Cardan yelled at her.  

Bi-racial but keep going, kind sir 

"It's okay, I'm here. I got you, my love" He placed a kiss on my head muttering sweet things in my ears that made my tears fall out less while rocking me side to side. The words he told me while I was 'sleeping' flashed through my mind.