Chapter 18

❝ Why don't we go talk about it somewhere only we know ❞

Attention Theif

I WOKE UP WITH PRESSURE on my back and a faint breath on my neck. I stood confused before I remembered it was Cardan.

"I can see your future with him"

Jamie's voice flashes through my mind and I turn around on the bed so now we're facing each other, I look at each part of his face, even the tongue ring I can see due to his plump lips being slightly open. His sleeves ride up and a series of tattoos runs up his bicep, a snake loops his bicep and a dagger lays on his forearm. I look at the back of his palm and see the name "Angeline" and "Elliot'' in cursive. I grabbed his hand carefully and traced the letters, I ran a finger up his arm and traced the dagger, It was thin and sharp looking and a drop of blood was leaving its peak, I traced it all the way to the handle and ran my finger over the curve of it.

I carried on to the snake rotating his bicep and imagined the other side of his bicep, I went back to his hand and picked it up noticing the veins and rings that adorn his fingers, A ruby one on his pinky grasped my attention and I ran my thumb over the perfect shaped teardrop ruby on the silver male band. I interlock my fingers with his hand and his finger immediately locked with mine, I looked at his no longer sleeping figure and gave him a drowsy grin since I was still hooked up on morphine.

"The ruby was on my mother's wedding ring," Cardan said lightly, "Oh, and the tattoos... do they have meanings?" I answered.

He sits up and points to the name 'Angeline'

"My mother's name" He points to 'Elliot', "My brother's name, and the dagger is for my sister to represent her fierceness and bravery, the snake was just a drunken night in my buddies tattoo parlor" I laugh and roll up the gown to show my full back,

"Since we're showing off tattoos I guess I could show you my 4" I remove my hair and show him the medium-sized Phoenix on my spine, "This one represents the passing of my....first love, he always told me that he would come back as one if they existed" I roll it back down and show a bit of my stomach to reveal a dove tattoo,

"All the women in my family get this when they're 18, it's kind of tradition" I showed him the tattoo behind my ear, "My birth year" I shrugged and the last one is a Cuban flag on my bicep, "The last one is just the Cuban flag, it plays a huge part in my life even though I can hate it sometimes, want an extra fact about me?" He nods, "Well I may or may not have gotten nipple piercings when I was blackout drunk one night" 

He looks at me with surprise before busting out in laughter and I join him smiling brightly, Silence envelopes us before he speaks, "Look, Thea, I messed up," He starts massaging circles with his thumb on my dove tattoo as he looks for words, "It took a lot for me to realize that I like you, I feel things that I can't explain when I'm around you" He shakes his head and closes his eyes before speaking again 

"Can we please just start over?" He squeezes his eyes tighter afraid of what my answer would be, 

"Well you're going to have to try a hell of a lot harder than that" I smile and his lips pull in a small grin. 

I take out my hand, "Hi, I'm Althea" He takes out his hand from under the blanket and glides it into mine, "Cardan" He breaks out a full smile showing his pearly white teeth and we go into a fit of laugher that stops once my parents come in. 

My mother looks between me and Cardan with a narrow-eyed look and my dad just smiles between the both of us, Cass in his arms laughs clapping his hands at the scene. My dad just comes in and hands Cass to me. After a good night's sleep, I feel immensely better as the nurse said, I hadn't moved too much so nothing was as sore anymore. Cardan stepped off the bed and put his sweatshirt back on, my parents were busy changing Cass so he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my forehead. I smiled and he returned it waving goodbye and walked out the door. 

"How are you holding up baby?" My mother comes up to me, and as if she cared about my health...the audacity. "Don't you have calls to answer? Emails to type up? Dresses to design? Something more important to you than me?" I replied with an attitude.  

"Thea-" My father started but my mother held her hand up. 

Her frequent scowl turned on her face but just as fast left, I snatched away the hand she was holding and put it on my bare stomach, the coldness of it making me flinch. 

"I'm just worried like you said you just got into a car crash I just want to know how you're doing, now stop giving me an attitude before I say something a mother shouldn't say" She sneered at me. 

I gave her a narrow look, She can't pretend to care when I know she doesn't, never has, anyone could be a better mother figure than her. Always busy with calls and fashion shows to manage, awards to claim. She forgot she had a family. Sure, I admit, it hurts but I've grown accustomed to it. Always being left in the care of my father wasn't easy either, he's a sports writer, so he spends hours a day in his office playing piano sounds to help him 'focus' which really intends to block out Cass's cries. I've had enough, but there's nothing I can do. I wouldn't dare to confront them, I'm on my last straw after all. 

"Alia, I think you should go find Cassius something to eat, and maybe cool down?" My father passed Cassius to my mother and he instantly clung to her, She exited the room with a loud sigh and my father came up to the side of the bed. 

"Try to treat your mother better for me okay? I know she can be tough but it's just tough love, shes worked very hard to get where she is at, when you said you weren't going to take over for her she held onto a grudge" He said softly

"So what you're saying is that when I told her I didn't want to become a mini her she threw a tantrum like a child?" I scoffed "Can she get any more self-centered?"

"Just please go easy on her" He pleaded, "If she truly gave a fuck, then perhaps I would," I said but turning on my side and closing my eyes before he could lecture me on my language.   

Here's Chapter 18! And I'm sorry for the late posts, I'm rearranging a plot for TMK and a little surprise

But obviously that all happens when I finish PW, which will be kinda soon but not so soon since it will only be around 27-30 chapters plus an Epilogue.