Chapter fifteen ~ Jane Doe

{Author's POV}

"Meredith!" Derek banged on the spare room door that she was originally staying in. No sound. "Meredith it's Derek open up" he banged the door again. "Meredith. We're gonna be late!". This was normal. Meredith being late. Derek couldn't remember if she came home from being paged last night. It was like her thing. But this was just plain rude. "I'm gonna have to go. If you're coming to work, you're gonna have to find your own way there!" He yelled one last time. Still nothing. In the end he got in his car and drove to 'Seattle Grace Hospital'

~

"Doctor Shepherd have you seen Doctor Grey anywhere we have a pre op in five minutes?" One of Derek's other interns, Cristina Yang questions him as he is walking down the hall to the desk for today's patients. "No, sorry Doctor Yang I haven't." He replies brutally. He's still mad a Meredith for leaving like she did last night. But he also doesn't blame him. "I'll page her now" Derek adds. He pages '911 to Meredith Grey'. Time passed and still nothing. "Doctor Shepherd we're missing an intern" Chief Webber announced to him. "I know Chief. Meredith Grey. No one has seen her." His head is pounding. Where has that stupid girl gone now?. "Look for her. Now! No surgery until you find your damn intern" Chief says angrily storming away.

~

Calls, after calls, after calls are made to Meredith. Pages, after pages, after pages. Yet still nothing.

"Doctor shepherd. You have a Jane Doe coming in. Numerous head  trauma's." Nurse Olivia leans over the desk to tell Derek. "I can't perform surgery when Doctor Grey is missing." He barely turns his head. Just leaning on the desk. "They say it's important." Suddenly his pager goes off. '911 Miranda Bailey.' "Screw it!" Derek sprinted to the pit. "What do we have?" He asks. "Jane Doe. Numerous head trauma's. Broken rib. And hypothermia." Bailey answers rushing Jane Doe to the intensive care unit. Jane Doe's face is covered by a neck brace to protect her head. And is quite hard to see her face. Bailey is on top of her giving her chest compressions heading towards 'trauma room 1'

As the other Doctors around them are taking away the neck brace to inspect her head a bit better. Derek suddenly realises who Jane Doe is.

Meredith Grey.

Oh god that name. It haunted him. But seeing her like this. Broke him. The heart monitor beeps. "She's in V-Fib!" A nurse yells. Derek's head pops up to the heart monitor. "Charge 300" Bailey yells holding the panels, rubbing them together. "Clear!" She yells again, pressing the panels upon Meredith. Nothing. "Charge to 400!" As Bailey is getting ready to charge Meredith with 400. Derek still wonders what the hell happened. "Clear!"
Nothing. "She's hypothermic!" Richard Webber yells. "We need more blankets for Jane Doe" Bailey demands a nurse. "Meredith Grey" Derek says under his breath. Bailey and Richard's head spurts up. "Jane Doe is Meredith Grey" A shiver tumbles down his spine. "Where are those blankets!" Richard yells louder at the nurses. Another runs in with four heated blankets. Placing them over Meredith. "Shepherd out!" Richard yells at Derek as a tear forms in the young neurosurgeons eye. "Derek out now" Webber repeats. Derek's hand is placed over Meredith's forehead brushing the wet hair from her face. He looks up. Knowing he has to go. He gently kisses her cold head and leaves the trauma room. Sitting on the floor opposite to the room, leaning against the wall. More tears streaming.

Did she try and drown herself ? Derek wonders to himself. Or was it an accident ?