The Astrid Chronicles

Astrid sat on the floor against the door for two hours until her tears finally ceased.

"Astrid, will you please let me in?" Hiccup pleaded. He had stationed himself on the other side of the door, sitting in a very similar position to Astrid.

He received no response.

"Your right. I should have told you. I know that." He explained. "I don't know why I didn't tell you."

Again, no response.

"Astrid, maybe you should talk to him," Heather whispered, suggestively.

Astrid shook her head, refusing to remove her gaze from the small stain on the floor.

"I'm not leaving this spot until you talk to me." Hiccup declared.

***

Astrid awoke in her bed in the early hours of the morning.

"Hey," Heather spoke softly.

"Did you...?" Astrid looked around.

"I couldn't just let you sleep on the floor, could I?" Heather chuckled. "Now, get dressed. You have a doctor's appointment, remember?"

"Right." Astrid sighed.

"What's this appointment for anyway?" Heather wondered.

"They just want to check the baby's growth. I'm 4 months, and not showing." Astrid explained. "They're a little concerned."

"Wow, I can't believe I didn't think about that." Heather realized. "What are you gonna do about Hiccup?"

"He's still out there?" Astrid gasped.

"Hasn't moved all night."

Did she seriously expect anything less?

***

Astrid yanked her door open to see Hiccup laying in the corridor, curled up, fast asleep. She couldn't help feeling guilty about making him sleep on the floor, no matter how upset she was. But she would never show it.

She gave him a gentle nudge with her foot, then another slightly harder, shocking him awake before stepping over him and continuing down the hall.

"Astrid?" He says up rubbing his eyes sleepily. Heather soon emerged from her room, offering Hiccup a hand up.

"She said you can come to the appointment today, because whether she's upset with you or not, the baby is yours too and you have every right to be there, but don't expect her to talk because she's still not in the mood," Heather explained. "Sorry, Hiccup."

"Okay, you know what..." He raced down the corridor as Astrid was descending the stairs. "Astrid, this is ridiculous! We need to talk."

"Hiccup, maybe you shouldn't..." Heather warned.

"Astrid. Astrid!" He called out. She halted at the bottom of the stairs.

Hiccup finally caught up, darting in front of her to prevent her from running away. Only then did he noticed the pained look on her face.

"Astrid? What's wrong?" He panicked.

Her hand flew across her abdomen. His hands instinctively landed gently on her stomach. She winced as she pushed his hands away.

Heather rushed to Astrid's side, as her legs began to wobble. She wrapped her arms around the blonde as her legs buckled and she dropped to the ground. Heather managed to break the fall and rocked her back and forth until the pain subsided.