Shopping Trip

Astrid awoke to an empty bed. She yawned and stretched before noticing a tray on the nightstand. Bacon and egg on toast with a glass of milk. Her favorite.

"Hiccup?" She called out, wondering where he was.

"In here." He called from the studio. Once she had finished her breakfast she quickly got dressed into a pair of ripped black skinny jeans with a plaid skirt and a black T-shirt and joined Hiccup in the other room.

She wanted to thank him for breakfast but decided to wait as he seemed rather focused on his latest sketch. Toothless curled under his seat. She walked up to him and looked over his shoulder to see a drawing of the two of them. It was unfinished but still incredible.

"You better not be peeking!" Hiccup stated

"You better not be peeking!" Hiccup stated. She quickly backed up.

"No, not at all." She fought back a smile. Failing miserably. Hiccup spun around and noticed Astrid's outfit. He paused for a moment.

"You're wearing a skirt? You never wear skirts."

"I fancied a change." She fibbed. The truth is, Hiccup made her feel like a girl. She was always trying so hard to be everything for everyone else, but with Hiccup, she didn't have to pretend. And he made her want to act like a girl. She didn't understand it, but she didn't fight it.

"I like it." He smiled. Astrid blushed. "I was thinking we could go to the mall and work on our costumes." He quickly added, changing the subject.

"Sounds good." Astrid agreed.

"Toothless, wanna come, Bud?" Hiccup asked. The dog's ears perked up and he raced out from under the seat and sat in front of his owner, patiently.

"I didn't think dogs were allowed in the mall?" Astrid pointed out. Hiccup pulled a red dog harness from a chest. It read 'Assistance dog'.

"He can with this." He told her, clipping the harness around Toothless.

"Assistance dog? When did he become an assistance dog?"

"About two years ago when I lost my leg in a motorcycle accident." He explained.

"What?!" She gasped. He rolled up the left leg of his dark jeans to reveal a prosthetic leg underneath. He was definitely good at hiding it. She knew he had taken a few months off school but she had no idea that was the reason.

"Hiccup..." She sobbed, rushing into his arms. "I'm so sorry." He held her tightly, stroking her hair.

"It's okay, Astrid." He said calmly. She shook her head.

"No, it's not! I should have been there." She couldn't help filling his shoulder with tears.

"I'm glad you weren't. It's not a part of my life I ever wanted you to be a part of." He pulled out of the hug and wiped her tears away. "Now, stop crying before you smudge your makeup." Astrid chuckled.

"Hiccup, I've never worn makeup in my life." He stared in shock.

"Wait, really?" She nodded. "Oh my Thor, you're stunning!" He teased.

"Dork." She gently punched his arm before running away, he soon caught up and tickled her mercilessly to the ground.

Hiccup had Astrid pinned on the floor, which was rare for Astrid. They both finished chuckling and found themselves lost in each other's eyes. Blue met green.

Astrid was hypnotized, she felt a warmth across her chest. She knew those forest green eyes were leading her into a trap and she followed willingly. What was this feeling? She had never felt anything like it before. But, she was loving every second.

Hiccup slowly leaned in, their lips merely an inch apart, when Toothless interrupted.

Hiccup couldn't hype him up for an outing and then expect him to sit there patiently. What was he thinking?

The teens giggled, blushing profusely as they hopped up off the floor.

***

They made it to the mall and were now in store number three. Astrid had to tie her hair into a high ponytail as the wind blew her braid out, though she still had the small braid on the side. They had already found Hiccup's costume. They started giggling when Astrid placed a flower crown on his head. He quickly removed it and placed it on Astrid's head. Though her ponytail got in the way so instead he placed it on Toothless, who shook it off and put it back on the shelf.

They finally found Astrid's Juliet costume. She still couldn't believe she actually had to wear something so... out of character. For her at least. They left the store. Astrid felt a buzz in her pocket. She took out her phone and answered it, apologizing to Hiccup.

"Hey, Carter. I'm a little busy, is it important?" She said.

"Just wanted to ask where you got that skirt from?"

"It was my mom's. Wait- How did you...?"

She heard a little rustle on the end of the phone when suddenly Kari's voice was heard.

"Girl, we're at the food court!" Kari said. Astrid looked over to the food court to see Kari, Carter, Ramona, Cole, Toby, Eric, and Cami all waving at her. She waved back nervously. "What are you doing with Hayden the Helpless?" Astrid gritted her teeth, trying not to lose her temper.

"We're just shopping for costumes." She explained.

"Are you gonna come say hey or what?" Kari asked though it was more of a demand. Astrid sighed, she didn't have much of a choice.

"Fine." She hung up and grabbed Hiccup's arm, dragging him towards her 'friends'.

"Hey, Astrid!" Her friends cheered.

"Hey, Punch Bag." Eric teased.

"Shut up, Eric," Astrid ordered.

"Ooo, defending the Nerd. Careful. You don't want a reputation." Cole pointed out. Astrid sighed. That's true. She just wanted to get through high school without hassle. But she also didn't want Hiccup to get bullied either.

"Astrid, incoming!" Carter gestured behind the blonde. Astrid spun around to see her ex-boyfriend Eret walking towards them.

He was rather large, he was two years older than Astrid but still a senior in high school. Captain of the football team. He had a large tattoo on his upper left arm. Astrid froze. Everyone knew who Eret was. Rumors spread fast at Berk high and when word got out that he was an abusive boyfriend, let's just say, he could kiss his football scholarship goodbye.

He approached the group and turned straight to Hayden. Astrid backed away and Carter stood by her side. She was the only person who knew that the rumors were true.

"Hey, Loser. What do you think you're doing with my girlfriend?!"

***

Just to clarify I have nothing against Eret. And when I say football, I mean American football.
Another clarification, Hiccup, and Astrid are 18, Eret is 20.