Too good to be true

"Hey, Heather." Hiccup spoke over the phone. "How's Astrid?"

"She's doing okay." Heather reassured. "How's Stoick?"

"Refusing treatment." Hiccup sighed. "He's insisting that he's strong enough to handle it. They said he needs to rest, can someone come and pick me up?"

"Sure, I'll send Fishlegs." Heather informed.

"Thanks."

***

"Hiccup!" Fishlegs called as he pulled up to the hospital.

"Hey, Fishlegs." He yawned.

"You look exhausted." Fishlegs pointed out.

"I feel it." He rasped out.

"Let's get you back to the house." Fishlegs suggested. Hiccup shook his head, rubbing his eyes.

"Not yet." He declined. "There's something I have to do first. Do you mind taking me to the mall?"

"Not at all."

***

"Rough day, huh?" Fishlegs asked, hesitantly.

"You have no idea." Hayden sighed. "Astrid's sick, my dad's in the hospital, I have an assignment due this week-"

"Hiccup, breathe." Fishlegs gasped. Hiccup took a deep breathe to calm down. "I'm sure Zac will give you a deadline extension. I'll call him when we get back to the house and explain the situation. You're main priority right now is your father."

"What about Astrid?" 

"She has us." The blonde explained. "You can't be in three places at once."

"I know." He sighed. "But right now, there's nothing I can do for dad."

"So, care to explain why we're going to the mall?" Fishlegs wondered.

"Is there any food left in my house?" Hiccup raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Fair point."

"Besides, I need to make all this up to Astrid." Hiccup explained.

"Hiccup, it's hardly your fault." Fishlegs pulled into the parking lot.

"I know, but it's her birthday. So, I feel guilty either way." Hayden explained as he left the car.

***

"Hey." Hayden announced himself to the girls as he entered his room.

"Shhh," Heather warned, gesturing to the blonde curled up beside her. "I only just got her to sleep." She explained.

"Sorry," He whispered. "Thanks for keeping an eye on her." He said, gratefully as he placed a few shopping bags on the floor by the bed. "I got it from here." He tucked himself in beside the drowsy blonde, who immediately shuffled and rolled over, draping her arm over his stomach, as if she sensed his presence, allowing Heather to slip out the other side.

She placed an empty bowl on the floor beside Hiccup.

"Just in case." She explained. "I'll be downstairs. If you need anything, text me."

"Thank you, Heather." He nodded gratefully as the raven-haired girl left the room.

Hayden turned his attention to the blonde curled up in his arms. He gently brushed his fingers through her free flowing hair.

"You're not really asleep are you?" He whispered, in case he was wrong. Though he was certain he was right. And surely enough the blonde shook her head gently. She slowly opened her eyes and sat herself up, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Couldn't." She wheezed. Hayden placed the back of his hand against her head.

"You're still a little warm." He noted. "How are you feeling?" 

"I-"

"The truth..." Hiccup frowned knowingly. Astrid let out a sigh.

"The truth..." She repeated. "I feel... nauseous and tired, and my head is throbbing." She winced. 

Hayden lifted her head to meet his gaze, gently leaning in to place a soft kiss on her forehead.

"All better?" Hayden smirked.

"All better." She smiled.

"You hungry?" Hiccup asked.

"Starving!" Astrid chuckled. Hayden reached down to grab a shopping bag from the floor. 

"Good thing I bought snacks." He smirked. Astrid's face lit up. "I know you're not feeling great, so I didn't know what to get. So, I got all your favorites. Chocolate, skittles, cheetos, popcorn and-"

"Pickle juice!" She cheered. Hayden shuddered in disgust.

"I'll never understand you." He chuckled. Astrid lost herself in his eyes, smiling contently. "What?" He giggled.

"Just wondering if you're too good to be true." She gave a half smile.

"Happy birthday, Scooby." He placed a kiss on her nose. Her smile quickly faded. Her gaze fell to her hands which were fidgeting profusely.

"Hiccup," Astrid sighed. "There's something you should know."