Broken and Bruised

Requests are welcome x

***

"Dad?!"

Hiccup jumped off the floor, offering Astrid a hand up. The blonde stumbled to her feet, dusting herself off as best she could.

"Hi, Mr. Haddock." She smiled nervously.

"Stoick, please." The stocky man said. "Care to explain what's going on here?"

Hiccup and Astrid glanced at each other, Hiccup nodded.

"You go ahead and get in the bath. I've got this." He reassured. Astrid nodded back before heading upstairs.

"Dad, I can explain."

"I sure hope so, Son." Stoick folded his arms and rose a brow at his son.

"Astrid's father kicked her out. I was trying to cheer her up by baking cookies. But we sorta ended up in a flour war." Hayden summed up, gesturing to their flour-covered kitchen.

"Just like old times." Stoick chuckled. "Okay, go and get cleaned up, Lad. Then you can come back downstairs and clean my kitchen. I'll have a word with her when you're done." He explained.

***

Hiccup went upstairs to take a shower, in his father's bathroom, since Astrid was in his. After the teens were all clean and had finished tidying up the mess they made, they joined Stoick in the lounge. Hiccup was wearing a black hoodie and joggers. Astrid had a whole new wardrobe but still insisted on wearing Hiccup's blue hoodie and a new pair of light gray sweats.

"So, Lass, Had a bit of a quarrel with your old man?" Stoick questioned as the young teens sat themselves down on the couch across the room. The blonde nodded.

"He just lost it." She told him. Stormfly flew in and landed on the back of the sofa behind her owner. Stoick could question that later.

"Lost it how?"

Astrid looked away, biting her lip nervously. Hiccup could see the fear in her eyes.

"Astrid?" He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Did he hurt you?"

"No!" She responded a little too quickly.

"Astrid. You know you're safe here. You can tell us." Hayden comforted. She discreetly tugged on her sleeves, which didn't go unnoticed. Hiccup grasped her wrist and pulled up her sleeve, revealing several bruises up her arm. Hiccup and his father gasped. Toothless made his way over, resting his head in the blonde's lap, nuzzling her opposite arm. Hiccup took the hint and rolled her other sleeve up too.

"Astrid, this is serious, Lass," Stoick stated. "How long has this been going on?"

Astrid hesitated.

"Since mom left." She told him.

"Didn't she move out when you started high school?" Hiccup asked. She nodded.
"So, when you came to school with that black eye and said you fell on a rock?"

"Yeah, a rock named Dad." She sniffled.

"Please tell me these are the only bruises." Hiccup prayed. Astrid shot him a sad look and unfortunately, he knew exactly what it meant. "Show me."

She turned away and crossed her arms across her stomach. Hiccup looked up at his father.

"Dad, can you give us a minute?" He requested.

"Of course, Son." Stoick agreed knowingly.

The moment Stoick left the room Astrid let out a sob.

"Look, you don't have to show me. I understand. But, if it's as bad as in my mind, then we need to do something about it." Hiccup explained. "Astrid, my father is the best lawyer in Berk. If your father is hurting you, we can help, but not if you won't let us."

Astrid let out a sigh. She hesitated for a brief moment and took a deep breath before taking off her hoodie, immediately folding her arms across her chest.

The bruises were a multitude of hues, colors that normally should not be on someone's skin. There were garish purple splotches, roughly the size of a fist, while others were more grayish but still looked just as bad. And they were all over her. It was horrible.
And it wasn't just the bruises. There were scars, too. Lines across her body, like someone or something, had dug their nails into her, tearing her flesh. Someone had clawed away at her, the gashes told the whole story. It was horrible, Hiccup could hardly bear to look at her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Hiccup cried.

"You have enough to deal with. And you've already done so much for me." She sobbed as she covered herself back up. "Besides, I'm not your responsibility. You shouldn't have to deal with me."

"Shouldn't that be my choice?" Hiccup told her.

He turned her to face him and got lost in her ocean blue eyes for just a second. He took her hand in his and grasped it tightly.

"You and I have been through everything together. You don't think we can handle this?" Astrid wiped a tear she hadn't noticed was falling. "Astrid, you have me. No matter what. Whatever that means. Whatever you want it to mean. I am with you. There will always be a Hiccup and Astrid."

She wriggled her hand free and threw her arms around his neck, sobbing into his shoulder.

"Always." He whispered, gently rubbing up and down her back, comfortingly.

***