Stressed Out

"Hey, Hiccup." Heather greeted. "How's your dad, doing?"

"Well, he agreed to have the surgery." Hiccup stated.

"That's great." She cheered. Hiccup nodded, his face showing nothing but a vacant expression. "What's the matter?"

"Astrid collapsed." He said.

"What?! Is she okay?" The group all panicked at once.

"Ethan says she's gonna be fine but he's running a few tests just to be sure." He sighed. "You should've seen her."

"Maybe you should sit down for a minute." Heather noticed him fighting to stay awake. She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder to guide him to the sofa in the relatives room they were staying in.

"I'm fine, Heather. I have to get back up to dad." He brushed her hand off.

"Hiccup! You are exhausted! You are going to wear yourself into the ground!" Heather snapped. The group all took a few paces back, slightly worried about their friends sudden outburst. "You are going to sit down for five minutes and take a break! Do you understand?!" She pointed dramatically.

Hiccup rolled his eyes, but if only to avoid another outburst, he did as she asked.

"Good. Now don't make me shout again." She smirked.

"She's right though, Hiccup." Fishlegs stated. "You can't take care of everybody. Sometimes you need to take care of yourself."

"I don't have time to take care of myself. My dad is on bed rest and too stubborn to admit he needs help, my girlfriend is sick and terrified of the doctors that want to help, I have Toothless and Stormfly to think about. I have masses of homework I haven't even started a-"

His heart started thumping. He could hear blood passing through his ears—thump, thump, thump—and see his chest moving up and down under two layers of clothing. Heather noticed his hands trembling and his vision became blurry when he looked around at his friends.

Suddenly, he was hot and sweaty, so hot and sweaty that he stripped off his hoodie and went to run his face under cold water.

"Hiccup?" Heather worried.

But as he stood up to go to the sink, the hand trembling traveled down into his arms and legs, leaving him unsteady on his feet. Well, foot. His heart seemed to pound even faster, even harder. He tried taking a deep breath to calm himself, but his breaths were sharp and shallow. His vision got darker and narrower and looked kaleidoscopic.

"Should I go and get a doctor?!" Fishlegs thought.

"No, it's just a panic attack. Go get him some water." Heather ordered.

"Pfft, a panic attack. What a loser." Snotlout snickered to himself.

"Hiccup," Heather rested her hands on his shoulders and guided him back down, kneeling on the floor in front of him. "Look at me." She spoke softly. "You're okay. Just take deep breaths. Okay?"

Hiccup tried his best, but his gasps were getting shorter.

"Hey, you never said whether you were hoping for a boy or a girl?" She tried to distract him. He shook his head ferociously. "Oh, come on. You know you have a preference."

"Girl-" He rasped out.

"Why's that?" Heather wondered.

"I..."

Breathe

"I grew up around... guys."

Breathe

"Be nice to have... another girl... around."

"Is she gonna look like you or Astrid?"She asked.

"Astrid. With... my colors." He finally calmed down.

"There you go." Heather stood up, taking the glass of water from Fishlegs and handing it to Hiccup. After a few sips, he finally composed himself and stood back up.

"Thanks, Heather." He smiled gratefully. "I should go. I can't let Astrid wake up alone. She'll kill me." He chuckled.

"We'll be up in an hour. You promise to take it easy?" Heather glared.

"I promise."

With that, he headed upstairs.

***