First Night

The sun had set and like perfect gentlemen, Hayden and Justin walked the girls back to their dorm. After a few hours of chatting, they decided to head to bed.

"Still have your watch?" Hiccup chuckled. Astrid's arms were wrapped firmly around his waist.

Astrid lifted her arm, allowing her sleeve to drop, revealing an ice blue smartwatch. Hiccup did the same, although his was crimson red. They shared a gentle kiss before resting their foreheads together.

"I love you," Hayden whispered.

"I love you too." She replied.

Hayden made his way to her bed and scooped up the stuffed Nadder. He placed a gentle kiss on the dragon's nose.

"Take good care of her for me." He whispered to his old toy before placing him in Astrid's hands.

"Dork." Astrid chuckled, pulling him back into a kiss.

"Goodnight." He smiled before turning to leave with Justin.

***

"I'm just gonna let Windshear out. Then I'll come back up and we can have a chat. Sound good?" Heather suggested.

"Sure." Astrid agreed.

Astrid sat herself on her new bed and gazed out of the window. Her watch buzzed upon her wrist.

'Hey, how you feeling? Over.' Hayden's voice came through.

"I'm not sure. It's... it just feels a little weird. Not being together. Over." She sent her message through her watch, to his.

'I know what you mean.'

"What are you up to?" Astrid asked.

'Working on some more dragon breeds for the movie. I'm at a loss.' He explained.

"Well, you turned Toothless and Stormfly into dragons. What about Meatlug and Windshear?" Astrid thought.

'You know what. That's not a bad idea!' Astrid could sense his excitement from a distance.

Suddenly, Astrid's door swung open and Windshear raced inside.

"Heather's back. I gotta go. Love you, Babe."

'Love you too. Over and out.' Astrid rolled her eyes at his military speech.

"Over and out." She chuckled before switching her watch off and returning her attention to her new roommate who was desperately trying not to smile. "What?"

"Nothing. You guys are just a really cute couple." She smiled, sitting herself on her bed.

"He's a dork. Sometimes it's just easier to play along." She chuckled.

"You guys seem super close, been together long?" Heather wondered.

"Almost 10 months. But we've been best friends our whole lives."

"That would explain it. Fishlegs and I have been together for just over a year. But we met about three years before that."

***

Hayden was sat at his new desk.

"Hey, Fishlegs. Could you help me with something real quick?" He asked.

"Sure." The tall blonde sauntered over to his desk.

Hayden took a moment to explain his story and the seven classes of dragons.

"If Meatlug was a dragon. Which class would she be most likely to fit into?" He wondered.

"Well, she does love rocks. So, I would definitely say a Boulder class." Fishlegs confirmed.

"Boulder class. Perfect. What about Windshear?" Hayden asked as he jotted down some notes.

"I would say Sharp class," Fishlegs replied.

"Really? Why do you say that?"

"Oh, her tail is lethal! You do not want to get in her way when she's excited." He explained.

"Sharp class it is."

***

The vast expanse of inky blackness darkened as the night went on. The sun rays had long since disappeared over the horizon to be replaced with thousands of stars.

The teens were all sleeping soundly. All except one.

Hayden lay awake in his bed, staring up at the ceiling as a million overwhelming thoughts raced through his mind.

He had been so excited to start college. And he had seemingly been very confident about that.

But, time was up. The time was here, and he had never been so nervous to go to class before.

***