Failed Escape

***

The stark smell of bleach and disinfectant was overwhelming.  Astrid scrunched up her eyes at the bright light that was seeping through her closed eyelids.  She felt powerless and heavy. Which was a terrifying thought for the Fearless Astrid Hofferson. She couldn't move her hand, her head, or her body.

She gradually started blinking, desperately striving to open her eyes and see what was around her. As the blinding light slowly subsided, she could take a look at her surroundings. She was at the hospital. But you knew that already.

The room was immaculately clean and gloomy. Typical hospital bed, IV, and monitors beeping. The walls were a sickly green color and the linens were grayish. The place looked nothing like a room where a patient should be motivated to get better. If anything the murky room was making her even more nauseous than she already was.

She rolled her head to the left to find a familiar Auburn-haired figure, sitting beside her hospital bed.

"Hey," Hayden spoke softly. He gently traced circles across the back of her hand. She smiled at him reinforcing the belief that she remembered him at least.

She took one more look at her surroundings, now that her vision was improving. She couldn't remember how she got there but she knew for sure that she wanted out as soon as possible. Preferably right now. Astrid slowly wriggled her hand free from Hayden's grasp tearing off the thin tube across her face. She pulled on the IV line and felt a sharp pain. Seems that unplugging an IV should only be done in the movies...

"Woah!" Hayden gasped as she tore off the wires on her chest, causing an ear-shattering beeping sound. The blonde fought against her traitorous muscles. She failed, unable to support her head without the help of the cushions behind her.

A male nurse charged into the room. "Astrid. I need you to relax." He said calmly. She ignored him, tossing and turning with all her might, desperate to escape.

The blood pounded in her ears. Her heart thudded in her chest. Her hands shook. Her feet tingled. Her vision was disfigured as if she were looking through a fish-eye lens. She had to get away. She couldn't stay in that damned hospital any longer.

She clutched the bed beside her, her hands grasped it so tightly that her nails dug into the cotton sheets. Breathing was hard. Really hard. She gasped for breath. But alas nothing worked.

"Astrid?!" Hayden panicked. Her hand flew to his, gripping tightly as she scrambled for air. Hayden watched as her chest moved in and out at a dangerous pace.

The nurse got to work placing an oxygen mask on the young blonde. She fought his attempts, turning her head away and swatting his hand.

"Astrid. I know you don't like hospitals. But you need to let them help you." Hayden explained. "If you don't, you're gonna be here even longer."

The blonde hesitated but soon allowed the nurse to proceed. He applied the oxygen mask before attaching the wires to her monitor and dressing the IV wound. Astrid took a few deep breaths.

"That's my girl." Hayden smiled.

"Shouldn't you be in bed, Hayden?" The nurse asked.

"I'm fine, Ethan." Astrid looked at her boyfriend in confusion. He was on a first-name basis with her nurse. "He treated me after my motorcycle accident." He explained. "He's great at his job. Trust him."

"Where's your father? I thought he would be glued to your side." Ethan stated.

"He went home to pick up a few things." He declared. He turned back to Astrid. "He's checking on Stormfly and Toothless." He told her.

"Okay, Astrid." Ethan placed his hands in hers. "Can you squeeze my hands as hard as you can for me?"

Astrid did as told, his right hand ached afterward though her right hand barely managed to move.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asked her as he removed her oxygen mask, replacing it with a cannula. She slowly turned towards Hayden, searching for the right answer. He remained quiet. She gently shook her head.

"Hayden?" Ethan passed the question.

"Bits and pieces." He admitted."We were on our way home from the movies. I lost control of the car. That's all I remember."

"The car flipped over. When paramedics arrived at the scene, the car was on fire and it looked like you used yourself to cradle her from the flames." Ethan explained.

Astrid slowly traced the scar across her left eye. She sobbed quietly.

"Hey, " Hayden spoke softly. "Don't you dare!" He frowned, leading her hand away, knowing she was feeling less than beautiful at that moment. He was having none of it. "You're still perfect to me." She smiled through her tears.

After shining a torch in Astrid's eyes, earning a small slap, Ethan decided to go and check on her MRI results.

"I'll be back to check on you BOTH in a little bit. For now, just take it easy." He suggested.

As he left the room Hayden noticed Astrid fighting to keep her eyes open. He pulled himself onto the bed beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"Hey, it's okay." He whispered. "I'm not going anywhere. If you need to sleep, then sleep. I'll be right here when you wake up." He promised.

Astrid put all her energy into rolling onto her side, her head resting in the crook of Hayden's neck. She gazed up at him sleepily, smiling as she gently traced his lips with her finger.

He leaned down, brushing their lips together softly, barely touching. The lack of contact drove her mad.

On a normal day, Astrid would have grabbed him by the shirt and crashed their lips together. But, her face was aching with every movement, so she appreciated his gentle approach. She rested her head against his chest and promptly drifted off to sleep at the rhythm of his rapidly beating heart.

Hayden stared at the ceiling gently caressing her free-flowing hair, unable to fall asleep as the guilt consumed him.

***