Best Birthday Ever

A few weeks had passed. It was a cold day, the first few days of winter usually were, not cold in the conventional sense mind you, a thick blanket of snow had covered the town overnight. It was everywhere, the noisy air conditioning was having a tough time keeping out the cold.

Astrid had spent a lot of time with Carter over the weeks while Hiccup was busy working on a project. A secret project.

Astrid awoke in Hiccup's bed, covered with more blankets than she remembered falling asleep with. She assumed Hiccup had covered her up to keep her from catching a cold.

The texture of the sheets against her skin felt good, warm, compared with the cloudy glass of the window across the room, announcing that a heavy and cold weather was dispersing through the city.

Hiccup was nowhere to be seen. She hopped out of bed and threw on a pair of light blue skinny jeans, a white shirt, and a light grey sweater before heading downstairs.

"Hiccup?" She called.

"I'll be right down!" He replied from upstairs.

He emerged a few moments later, his hands were covered in brightly colored paint. Splotches of blue and green dried across his cheeks, his apron was an artistic masterpiece in itself.

"Have you been up all night?" Astrid wondered.

"Uh, pretty much." He admitted. "I was busy with-"

"Oh, let me guess." She interrupted. "Your secret project." She rolled her eyes sarcastically. "Please tell me you at least finished it?"

"Yes, Astrid. I have finished it." Hiccup confirmed.

"Does that mean you're finally gonna show me what you have spent almost a month working on?"

"When I've cleaned up. Yes."

Astrid was practically bouncing with anticipation while Hiccup cleaned himself up.

She waited rather impatiently outside his bedroom door when two cold hands flew over her eyes.

"Guess who?"

"Uh, Hiccup." Astrid chuckled.

"Yeah but guess again." Hiccup pouted.

"Hiccup..." She repeated.

"Ah, you see right through me." He sighed in defeat. "Ready?" Astrid bit her lip in excitement. Hiccup let out a chuckle before leading her down the hall. He led her through a door before removing his hands from her view.

She slowly opened her eyes and gazed around the room.

"Welcome to your new bedroom!" Hiccup cheered, throwing his arms around wildly.

She turned around on the spot, taking in every last detail. The walls were covered in a dragon mural, presumably the design he had intended for his studio. She had a double bed with white sheets and ice blue cushions and a light grey blanket. There were fairy lights strung around the room, acting as stars against the painted sky on the walls. She had a brand new dresser, a desk, a new laptop, and a tv mounted on the wall.

"This is what you have been hiding for the last three weeks?" Astrid gasped.

Hiccup nodded.

"You did all this, for me?" She wondered.

"Happy Birthday, Astrid."

Astrid's face lit up and she jumped into Hiccup's arms.

"This is the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me." She told him. "Thank you."