Land of Make Believe

The school cafeteria was buzzing with hungry teens. Astrid and Hiccup were sat by the window enjoying their meal when Carter made her way over.

"Mind if I join you?"

Astrid looked over to Hayden.

"Not at all." He said.

"Thanks." Carter took a seat on the opposite side of the table. "Now, I believe I was promised an explanation."

Astrid chuckled.

"Carter, I've known Hiccup my whole life. We used to do everything together." She told her.

"Not everything, surely."

"Nope, she's right. We literally did everything together." Hayden added.

"We were best friends. Wherever one went, the other followed." Astrid continued.

"If you guys hadn't been partnered on the drama exam, I don't think I'd believe it." Carter declared.

"We sorta, drifted apart, since starting high school." The blonde told her.

"But, now we're friends again." Hiccup stated before receiving an elbow to the chest.

"We're more than that!" Astrid scowled.

"Of course, we are." Hayden chuckled, planting a kiss on her cheek.

"And you call him, Hiccup?" Astrid chuckled at the confusion on her friend's face.

"It's Viking tradition to call the runt of the litter a Hiccup," Astrid explained.

"Yeah, I weighed, like 4 lbs when I was born," Hayden stated.

"Now he weighs 5lbs." Astrid teased.

"Oh, really. Don't forget that I'm taller than you." He said in an attempt to keep that little sliver of dignity intact.

"I'm still stronger than you." Astrid chuckled. And his last slice of dignity was shattered.

"Hey, can we not go there in mixed company?" He joked as he tickled his girlfriend. Astrid giggled as her face turned crimson red.

"Hiccup!" She gasped between laughs.

Suddenly, there was a buzz, echoing in Hayden's pocket. He pulled out his phone to answer his father's call.

"It's my dad. Excuse me." He politely excused himself from the table, finally allowing Astrid to breathe.

***

"I don't think I've ever seen you this happy," Carter smirked. Astrid blushed. "He seems like a good guy."

"He's the best." Astrid gazed after her auburn-haired boyfriend as he approached.

"Everything okay?"

"Dad was just letting me know that my aunt has gone into labor and her husband is out of town and can't get back till Thursday, so my cousin Harley is staying with us for a few days," Hayden explained.

"Wow, I haven't seen Harley in years." Astrid realized. "How old is she now?"

"Almost six." He said.

***

Hayden stepped into his house and was immediately greeted by a young girl leaping into his arms. She had dark blonde hair and brown eyes.

"Hiccup!" The young girl cheered. "Catch me!"

"Hey, Harlster." He greeted as his father walked into the room. "You're getting big!"

"You don't mind watching the wee one for a few hours do you, son? I have some work to catch up on down at the office." Stoick said.

"Of course not." Hayden agreed. "Take your time."

"Thanks, Lad." Stoick headed out the door as Hiccup made his way to the lounge with the young girl on his hip. He placed her on the ground before he slunk down on the couch.

"Who's that?" Harley gestured as Astrid walked into the room.

Hiccup scooped his cousin up and sat her in his lap.

"That is Astrid." He explained. "You remember me telling you about her, right?"

Harley nodded.

"You were right." She whispered loudly. "She is beautiful."

"I know," Hayden replied in a purposely loud whisper. "Astrid lives here now."

"Yay!" Harley cheered causing Astrid to chuckle. "Can we play Dragon Trainers?"

"You taught her about dragons, huh?" Astrid smirked, folding her arms and leaning against the door frame.

"Of course." He chuckled, helping Harley off his knee. "So, joining us?" He asked as he approached his girlfriend.

"Hiccup, I haven't played Dragon Trainer in years. You really expect me to remember?" She rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"Well, you better remember fast, cause THERE'S A WILD THUNDERDRUM BEHIND YOU!!!" He yelled.

Astrid threw her hands over her ears and spun around as fast as she could, to see Harley smirking at her mischievously.

"ROAAAAAR!" She bellowed.

Hiccup scooped Astrid into a piggyback and ran into the garden.

Harley chased them around the field until Hayden finally got tired.

"Hey, looks like Toothless and Stormfly want to play." Hayden gestured as the animals joined them outside.

"Who's Stormfly?" Harley asked innocently.

"She's my parrot," Astrid explained.

"Okay Harls, let's see how much you remember from training." Hiccup smirked. "It's a Deadly Nadder. What do you do?"

"Find the blind spot," Harley said confidently.

"Good girl. Then how do you train her?"

"Move slowly, show her you're her friend."

"Great job." He praised. "But look out, cause here comes the Night Fury!" He pointed towards his canine companion.

Toothless slowly crawled towards them.

Hiccup jumped in front of Harley.

"Save yourself, I got this!" He recited, rather dramatically.

Toothless tackled his owner to the ground.

"Sure you do." Harley teased. She raised her hand out to Toothless who was currently licking Hiccup's face. He looked up at the young child and tilted his head curiously, before crawling off of his human friend and placing his nose on the young girl's palm.

"Eww! Toothless your nose is all wet!" She giggled.

"Hiccup, you okay?" Astrid asked as she was watching the scene unfold from a distance. He was staring at the sky, breathing exaggeratedly.

"I could've died!" He gasped. Astrid rolled her eyes.

"You're such a Drama Queen." She chuckled.

Hayden rolled onto his stomach and wrapped his arms around Harley's leg.

"You saved my life!" He said. "How can I ever repay you?"

Harley threw both hands in the air.

"WAFFLES!" She cheered

Hayden looked up at the excitement on her face.

"Waffles it is. Then to bed with you, Little Lady."

***