Roommates

The remaining months of their senior year were pretty uneventful. Astrid finally got her boot off and they passed their drama exam with flying colors. But now, everything was about to change.

"Ready?" Hiccup grasped Astrid's hand as his father pulled up to the gates of Sparwood University.

"Nope. But let's do it anyway." Astrid was overwhelmed with different emotions. Part of her was buzzing with excitement; to meet her roommate and decorate her dorm. But there was this other part. This part was terrified; that her roommate wouldn't like her, that she would get lost on campus, that she wouldn't like her new teacher, that she and Hiccup would drift apart again. That thought terrified her, more than she'd like to admit.

They had been living together for almost a year now and they weren't used to being apart.

They shuffled out of the back door of Stoick's Tesla to be greeted by an old friend.

"Gobber?!" Hayden wondered.

"Morning, Lad." His uncle greeted. "Who's your friend?" He asked. Of course, Stoick had already mentioned that young Miss Hofferson had been living with them.

"Oh, come on. You remember Astrid." Hayden stated. Gobber looked the blonde up and down.

"Nah, Astrid was just a wee little thing." Gobber hadn't seen Astrid since she was ten years old.

"Gobber..." Astrid chuckled.

"Ahh, I'm just kidding, Lass." He wrapped his arm around the blonde neck and rubbed his knuckles across her head. "Stoick told me all about it."

Astrid grabbed his arm and twisted it around his back.

"Ahh! Yup, she's Astrid." He confirmed. Astrid finally let him go.

"Gobber, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work?" Hayden wondered.

"I am," Gobber explained. "Your father got me transferred. I'm your new teacher."

Well, there's one possible disaster they could remove from the list. At least they were familiar with their teacher.

"I took the liberty of picking up your I.D cards. Save you the task of standing in line."

"Thanks, Gobber." The young couple accepted.

"Now, let's get you two settled in," Gobber suggested.

Hayden turned to his girlfriend and pulled the campus map out of his pocket.

"Okay, so I'm in Helheim hall." He pointed. "And you're in...?"

"Vanaheim." Astrid pointed to her hall right beside Hayden's.

"Perfect."

***

They each carried boxes to the halls. Stormfly was sitting on Astrid's shoulder, while Toothless was on his leash by Hayden's side.

Astrid and Gobber headed into the hall on the left and Hayden and Stoick entered the building on the right.

***

"Here we are, Lass." Gobber gestured to the door. "Room 214."

Astrid took a deep breath before venturing inside to be greeted by a bull terrier puppy.

"Windshear, down!" A young raven-haired girl commanded. The puppy did as asked, racing back to her owner. "Sorry about that. She's a little excited."

"I don't mind." Astrid chuckled, placing her box on the floor. She noticed her new roommate had two small scars on her right cheek, which made Astrid feel a lot more comfortable about her scar too.

"I'm Heather by the way." The young girl introduced.

"Astrid." She replied. She brought her hand to her shoulder and her parrot hopped onto her finger, the blonde placed her on the window ledge. "This is Stormfly."

The man in the room cleared his throat.

"Oh, this is Gobber. He teaches animal training here."

Heather waved towards the man, who waved back.

"I'll go get the rest of the boxes, you girls chat away." Gobber excused himself.

"Thanks, Gobber."

***

"Here were are then," Stoick stated.

"Yup, room 312." Hiccup read on the door. "This is it."

He opened the door hesitantly to see his roommate already unpacking. Toothless raced inside to greet the bulldog in the far corner.

"Hi!" The strange boy cheered. "You must be my new roommate! I'm Justin."

"I'm Hayden." He introduced. "This is my father." He said as they both dropped his boxes on the opposite bed. "And that's Toothless." He gestured to his black Labrador as he circled the bulldog. Before long, both dogs made their way to the opposite humans.

"That's Meatlug."

***

"I don't mind which side I get. But I didn't know if you would have a preference, so I decided to wait." Heather explained.

"Mind if I take the bed by the window?" Astrid asked.

"Of course not, it's all yours."

Gobber brought up the remaining boxes and Astrid and Heather soon started unpacking.

"So, excited for class tomorrow?" Heather started a conversation.

"Excited is a strong word." Astrid chuckled as she began to make her bed.

"I know what you mean. It's a little overwhelming." She agreed.

"I know. I stepped onto campus and was completely disoriented."

Astrid opened a large box to find a small chest that she didn't remember packing. She opened it up to see a small stuffed toy. A dragon that she was all too familiar with.

She found a small note in the bottom of the chest.

So you never have to sleep alone.
And you always have a part of me close by.

Hiccup x

She smiled down at the toy in her clutches, gently kissing his nose. She placed the stuffed Nadder on her bed when suddenly there was a knock at the door.

***