Promise?

I apologize for the over-the-top speech towards the end but I had to stretch the chapter out as it was incredibly short.

Requests are welcome x
Hope you enjoy :)

***

Harley was all tucked up in Hayden's bed.

"Hey, I've got a new story for ya," Hayden said a little too eager as he grabbed his sketchbook from his art studio and shuffled onto the bed beside her.

Astrid watched from the doorway as he opened the book and began to tell a story, that he seemingly had memorized.

"This is Berk." He said. "It's twelve days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death."

Astrid rolled her eyes, knowing that Hiccup was overdramatic about cold weather.

"It's located solidly on the meridian of misery."

He turned the page.

"My village. In a word. Sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new."

Astrid couldn't help but smile as his arm wrapped around the young girl.

"We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests." He turned the page.

"You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have..."

"Dragons!" Harley cheered.

***

Harley was finally sleeping soundly and Hayden slipped out of the bed and tucked her under the blanket.

He turned off the lamp on his nightstand before making his way to Astrid in the hall.

"Shh." He warned. He took her hand and led her downstairs.

"Are you okay?" Hiccup worried. "You've been a little quiet, tonight."

"I'm fine." She replied. He noticed the tear in her eye.

"No, you're not." He corrected. "What is it?"

"I really don't wanna talk about it." She sobbed.

"Hey, come here." Hiccup grasped her hand and led her to the couch and sat her in his lap. "Astrid, if you don't tell me what's wrong, how am I supposed to help?"

"You can't." She sniffled.

"Okay, Astrid. Now you're scaring me. What's going on?" He panicked. Astrid looked up at him, her eyes were red and weepy.

"You said there would always be a Hiccup and Astrid, right?" She asked.

"Always." He furrowed his brow in confusion.

"Hiccup," she took a deep breath, looking away, too scared to see his reaction. "I can't have kids."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, it's not 100% certain. But, Ethan said that the crash caused some damage." She sobbed.

"Shh," He comforted, pulling her head to his chest, gently stroking her hair. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hiccup, you've always wanted kids, I didn't want to lose you. Besides, you had enough going on." She stated. "And I wasn't exactly planning on starting a family then anyway."

"You're saying you want kids?" He smiled.

"Well, not right now!" She let out a small chuckle. "But, someday. After college."

"Astrid, I love you." He said, softly. "I'll always love you. Nothing will change that. You said yourself. It's not certain. So, let's not worry about it until the time comes that we decide to start a family. And if you can't, then there are always other options."

"How are you so perfect?" She wiped her eyes.

"I learned from you."

"I'm not perfect." She disagreed. "I just don't get it. Why you like me."

"Did you seriously just ask me that?" Hiccup wondered.

"You're just so good at everything. You're smart, you're artistic, you're creative, you're great with kids, you can cook, you ride a motorcycle."

"And crash." He added.

"You know what I mean." She rolled her eyes. "I can't do anything of those things. "I'm not smart or creative. Kids hate me and let's face it, I can't cook to save my life. If I wasn't supervised I would probably burn the whole house down."

"Astrid-"

"Let's face it. I'm helpless."

"You're Astrid. You're my best friend." Hiccup started.

"But, why?" She asked.

"You were the first to believe in me. You made me who I am. Something more than Hayden the Helpless. Knowing that you need me, gives me a purpose." He listed.

"You let yourself be vulnerable with me and trust me beyond my comprehension. It makes me feel special. You're the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last when I go to sleep. I never imagined I would find someone who I would want to spend so much time with, who could truly touch my life the way you have, without even trying. I thought I would get used to my life without you, but every day it got harder."

Astrid was now sobbing hysterically. Though these were tears of a different kind as she couldn't stop the smile on her face.

"Astrid, my life was empty without you, it was so dull. You brought the color back."

"I did?"

"Yes, you did. And sure, I've wanted kids for as long as I can remember. But, when I look at my future, the only thing I see... is you! Anything else is a bonus." He explained. Astrid turned to face him, now straddling his hips. He gently cupped her cheek, wiping her tears with his thumb. "We can handle this. Just like we handle everything. Together. So, if we decide one day that we want to start a family, then we will find another way."

"Promise?"

"Promise." He confirmed.

He flinched as she raised her fist, throwing it forward to meet his arm.

"That's for being a dork."

She placed her hands on either
side of his face, and the room
began to fall away. She had never gotten so lost in a kiss before. And, the space between them exploded.

Hiccup's heart kept missing beats and his hands could not bring her close enough to him. They had kissed many times before, but it didn't burn him alive.

Maybe it lasted a minute, and maybe an hour. They were lost in a bubble of time and space.

Astrid kept leaning closer and closer until Hiccup fell back on the couch. Astrid tumbled on top of him. She let out a small chuckle before resuming the kiss. Their bodies fit together perfectly, like pieces of a puzzle. They finally decided to come up for air.

"That's... for everything else."