Control Yourself

Monday at lunch
***

Astrid had joined the Sparwood boxing club on the second day, finally finding a sense of familiarity in this foreign land of university. She was training in the ring with one of the seniors when an annoyingly familiar voice sounded beside her.

"Nice footwork, Hofferson."

Astrid ignored her and continued her sparring session. Throwing punches at the pads on her opponent's hands.

"Come on, are you punching him or tickling him?"

"Go and bother someone else, Chelsea." Astrid hissed. Chelsea James was an old rival of Astrid's at her old boxing club before she transferred to Berk Academy Boxing club.

"Relax, Hofferson. I'm just messing with you." The brunette chuckled.

"Well, don't!" Astrid scowled as she continued throwing punches. "I'm trying to focus."

"Doesn't seem to be working."

"I know what you're trying to do, Chelsea. You're trying to get in my head so I don't want to try out for the tournament. And it's not gonna work. I'm trying out whether you like it or not!"

"You really think you stand a chance at getting picked?" She scoffed. Astrid spun to her.

"Yeah, Why not?!"

"My grandmother is a better boxer than you." Chelsea taunted.

"What's your problem, Chelsea? What did I ever do to you?!" Astrid scowled as she began to tear off her boxing gloves.

"Who said there was a problem? I just think it's cute that you think you actually have a chance." The brunette smirked. "Good luck, Hofferson." Chelsea took off. Astrid took a deep breath to calm down when she noticed Hiccup waltz through the door with Heather and Fishlegs.

***

"Hey, how was boxing?" Hayden asked his girlfriend as she took a sip of water.

"Fine." She stated plainly.

"Are you okay?" Fishlegs checked.

"I'm fine!" She scowled.

"Okay," Hiccup sighed. "You go get your stuff. We'll wait outside." He advised.

Astrid headed through the door to the locker room, while her slightly concerned friends waited outside.

She finished grabbing her things and turned to leave when Chelsea snuck up behind her.

"Hey, Hofferson. Maybe you should join the under 12's team. Seems more your level." She teased.

"Just leave me alone, Chelsea." Astrid rolled her eyes, scooping up her gym bag.

"Why so tense? Struck a nerve, did I?" The brunette chuckled. "Trash talking is a big part of the game. Everybody knows that. You should try it sometime. Or are you too scared?" Chelsea smirked.

"I'm not scared of anything! Least of all you!" Astrid growled, her hands tightened until her knuckles turned white and her fingers tingled.

"Could've fooled me!" Chelsea taunted. "Haddock must have turned you soft." She thought.

"Leave him out of it!"

"What's the matter? Hayden the helpless, knock all the fight out of you?" Chelsea pointed to the healing scar across Astrid's left eye.

Astrid snapped. She drew her hand back and before she knew it Chelsea ducked out of the way. Just a second slower and Astrid's fist would have met her face. Instead, it collided with her locker with a loud crash. Her hand stilled. She froze.

"You could get expelled for that!!" Chelsea threatened before grabbing her bag and racing out.

Astrid stared at her hand, still connected to her locker, unaware that a young boy had caught the entire scene.

"Astrid?" The blonde swung around at the sound of her roommate's voice. "You coming?"

Astrid said nothing and just scooped her bag up and charged out of the gym.

***

"Astrid, are you okay?" Hayden asked as they all sat in their art room, awaiting their teacher's arrival. "You've been really quiet?"

"I'm fine, Hiccup." She fibbed as she slyly gazed down at her, now bruised, knuckles. She quickly hid her hand under her sleeve as Zac walked into the room.

"Okay, class. Today I want you to paint, the first thing that comes to mind. Whatever you're feeling, I want to see it in your work. You can use paint, pencils, pens, pastels. It's up to you. Let get started."

***

"Miss Hofferson." An unfamiliar voice startled the teens out of their creative flow. Their heads all shot up to see two large men in yellow vests. "Can we have a word?"

"What about?" She furrowed her brow in confusion.

"Is Astrid in trouble?" Heather wondered.

"Miss Hofferson. I think it's best that we speak in private." The other man suggested.

"Astrid, what did you do?" Hayden whispered. Astrid scowled at him.

"I didn't do anything!" She defended. She turned her attention back to the policemen. "These guys are my friends, anything you say to me, I'm gonna tell them anyway."

"We've had a report about an incident this afternoon at the boxing club between you and a girl called Chelsea James. Ring any bells?" They explained.

"What kind of incident?" Astrid wondered.

"She's accusing you of assault." They declared.

"ASSAULT?!" The teens gasped.

***