School Night

***
Sunday Night
***

Hayden was sitting in his studio working on his latest sketch. He looked out the window. The sky was tar-black and the large clouds were moving towards his house. He heard a tapping on the window and then it became a pitter-patter. People ran for cover outside and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out their beads of water. Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier. The roofs of the cars danced with spray and he could hear the murmuring of the rain through the window. It sounded like the buzzing of angry bees.

Hayden's father was out of town on another business trip so he had the entire house to himself. It was 11 pm and he knew he should go to sleep. He had school early the next morning, but he was determined to finish his sketch first.

He jumped as he heard a sudden knock at the door. He made his way downstairs with Toothless hot on his trail. He opened the door hesitantly to find Astrid standing in the pouring rain. She was wearing black ripped jeans and a crimson red long-sleeved shirt that hung over her shoulders. Every inch of her was soaked. Her eyes, puffy and red. The young girl was shivering ferociously.

"Astrid?!" Hayden grabbed her arm and pulled her in, out of the rain, locking the door behind her. He ripped off his hoodie and wrapped it around her shoulders, leaving him, now topless. "What are you doing here?"

"I-" She tried to speak but the sound refused to exit her lips. She let out a sniffle. Her entire body was shaking as the water dripped onto the floor.

"Okay, okay." He spoke softly, rubbing her arms in an attempt to warm her up. "Just wait here."

He raced up the stairs as fast as he could, returning with a towel and a clean set of clothes for her to wear.

"Here." He placed them on the table by the door. "Put these on. I'll wait in the lounge."

Astrid smiled gratefully as he turned and headed into the other room. She quickly got to work changing out of her wet clothes and into Hiccup's red hoodie and black joggers.

Hayden waited patiently by the roaring fire he had just lit. Astrid soon emerged with a pile of clothes in her hands. He jumped up to take them from her. She took a moment to admire his newfound muscles. He had definitely grown since starting high school.

"Here. Let me go put those in the dryer." He said. "Make yourself at home." He gestured to the sofa beside him. "Are you hungry? Thirsty? I can make some hot chocolate." He mentioned as he headed to the utility room.

"Hot chocolate sounds good. Thanks."

After a few minutes, he returned with two hot chocolates to find Astrid by the front door, cleaning up the puddle she had left there.

"Don't worry about that, I got it." He stated. Astrid ignored him and finished what she started before heading to the sofa.

He handed her the mug with extra marshmallows. He knew how much she loved them.

"Thank you." She accepted gratefully.

"Anytime." He sat himself by her side and Toothless curled up on his bed by the fire. "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but is there a reason you walked across town in the middle of the night? In the rain? Alone?"

Astrid hesitated. She let out a sigh, staring into her mug and watching as the marshmallows melted into one another. A lone tear slipped down her cheek.

"Astrid, what is it?" Hiccup worried. Astrid was never the crying type.

"My dad and I got into this huge fight." She sniffled.

"You should have called me." Hiccup suggested. "I would've come and picked you up."

"He took my phone." She told him.

"What were you arguing about?" Hayden asked.

"Someone started a rumor about me and Eret. Somehow he heard. He got so mad. I tried to tell him it wasn't true but he wouldn't listen. He locked me out and said don't come back."

"All that over some guy?" Hiccup wondered.

"Eret's father is trying to put my father out of business. I'm not supposed to get involved." Astrid explained, taking a sip of her hot chocolate.

"Well, you can stay here as long as you need." He offered. "My dad won't mind."

"Thanks." She smiled. "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to lay all this on you. I just didn't know where else to go."

"Don't apologize. I'm glad you came to me." He stated. "I'll tell you what. Tomorrow after school, we'll go to the mall and you can get whatever you need. Clothes, school books, everything. Okay? My treat."

"Hiccup, you don't have to do that." She politely declined.

"I know." He stated. "But, I want to."

"I don't really have a say in this, do I?" Astrid chuckled, knowingly.

"You're Astrid. You always have a say. But, if you're gonna stay here, you have to wear something." He noted. Astrid let out a yawn. Hayden took the mug from her hand before she fell asleep and spilled it all over. She curled up in a ball and drifted off to sleep. Hayden smiled down at her, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead before covering her up with a blanket.

"Sweet dreams, Sleepyhead." He whispered.

***