Flaws or Quirks

Please don't ask. This is the most random chapter and has literally no real relevance to the story. But I'm posting it anyway. So enjoy the randomness.

***

Astrid and Hiccup stumbled into their art room where Heather and Fishlegs were already waiting with Zac.

"What took you guys so long?" Heather smirked knowingly.

The teens blushed profusely and raced to their seats, desperately trying to avoid eye contact.

"Thanks for coming, guys." Zac said. "Welcome to Art club. Now, I know that being in a classroom on a Sunday morning isn't exactly your idea of fun. But, you four have a lot of potential and I want to expand on that." He explained.

"How?" Fishlegs wondered.

"Flaws." Zac stated plainly.

"Flaws?" Hiccup asked.

"We all have them. Nobody's perfect." He told them. "In front of you, you will find a black dry erase marker. I want you to think of a flaw that YOU have. Or one that you believe you have overcome. One that you believe stands out above all the rest and I want you to write that word on the forehead of the person sitting beside you." He requested. "Don't say it out loud. Just write it."

The teens took a few moments to fulfill his strange request. Astrid took the longest.

"Now, we're gonna start over here." Zac headed to the far left of the room and handed Fishlegs a mirror. "Justin, take a look at Heather's chosen word."

"Alone." He read.Heather rubbed her arm nervously as her gaze met the floor.

"Heather, care to explain why you chose that word?"

"Sometimes it just feels like I'm destined to be alone." She sighed. "First my parents, then my foster parents. I guess I just expect it. Like it's just a matter of time before you guys leave too."

The others hesitated for a moment, taken back at her words. Astrid was the first to make a move, heading over to embrace her friend in a hug. Hayden and Justin soon joined her.

"We're not going anywhere." Astrid reassured.

"Heather, take a look at Justin's word." Zac requested.

"Gullible." She read.

"Justin?"

"I really don't think there's much to unpack there." He declared.

"Fair enough. Astrid." Zac passed the mirror over.

She gazed at her reflection and hesitated. Hiccup's hand made it's way into the back of his messy auburn hair.

"Helpless?" She whispered.

"Hayden? Care to explain." Zac gestured.

"Hayden the Helpless. That's me." He stated. "That's what kids used to call me when I was little, well, littler. Then in high school, it was more of the same. After a while, I started to believe I really was helpless. It just a felt like I was right back at square one."

"And do you still believe that?" His teacher asked.

"I don't think so, anymore."

"That's good to hear." Zac moved along. "Hayden, take a look at Astrid's word."

"Broken?" He read. "Why do you say that?"

"Because when I own it..." She shrugged. "It doesn't make me feel so bad."

"Astrid, you took a while to write your word. Why is that?" Zac wondered.

"I couldn't decide."

***

"Now, the best art, has a message. Something to say. I want you guys to take the flaws that you have written on your head and make it positive. At the end we'll take a look at them together and discover why our flaws are an essential part of who we are."

***

"Okay, Justin let's start with you." Zac wandered over. "Can you explain this to us?"

"This is our group of friends. We haven't known each other for very long, but we're a pretty close group and like Astrid said, we aren't going anywhere, Heather. You're not alone anymore." The stocky teen explained.

"Very nice, Justin."

***

"Heather?"

"So, everyone has good and bad traits. As Zac says. But, you're not gullible, Fishlegs. You just try to see the best in people. And you trust that they're being honest. So, this picture shows you seeing the bright side of this person while their dark side remains hidden." She detailed.

***

"Hayden this looks fairly cryptic. I see we have a tree here, and I'm guessing that's you and Astrid walking down the path there. But why is the tree in black and white, while the rest of the picture is color?" Zac's curiosity was peaked.

"The tree represents the past. And the past doesn't define you." Hiccup glared at Astrid. "Sure, the Apple may not fall far from the tree. But, does that mean you have to eat the apple?"

"No it does not. Well done, Hayden. Excellent work." Zac praised.

***

"Miss Hofferson? Care to tell us about your painting."

"This isn't so much a message as it is a memory." She explained.

Hayden smiled at her painting of a winters night.

"Yes, in high school. Everyone called him Hayden the Helpless. Because he kept to himself, he studied hard and he almost always had his nose in a book." She continued.

"You're right, Hiccup. You were back to where you started. But, I was the first to believe in you. And I have watched you doubt whether you're worthy ever since." Hiccup's gaze met the paint stained floor. "But you know what? I am the person I am today because of you. I never told you that. But it's true." She continued as she approached her auburn haired boyfriend. "You are the bravest, most stubborn, most determined knuckle head I know. Nobody gave you that, Hiccup. That was all you. I fell in love with that knuckle head." She said as Hiccup enveloped her in a bone crushing hug.

"Aww." The other couple cheered.

***