A first time for everything

The gang danced long into the night, enjoying every moment.

They finally settled back around the table.

"Comfy?" Hiccup smirked as Astrid rested her head in his lap, curling up on the seat.

"Mmmhmm." She hummed, slowly drifting off.

"Want me to take you to bed?" He asked as he gently stroked her hair.

She shook her head lightly. Within a few minutes, she was fast asleep.

"How can she possibly sleep with this much noise?" Fishlegs chuckled.

"She falls asleep anywhere these days." Hiccup explained. "This pregnancy is definitely wearing her out."

"How's she been over Christmas break?" Heather wondered.

"She got a little too excited on Christmas morning?" He gestured. "Got a little worked up. But, mostly she's just been, Astrid. A little flirty, but Astrid." Heather chuckled.

"Well, she has just entered her second term. Her hormones are going to start going crazy."

"Oh, perfect." Snotlout rolled his eyes sarcastically. "That's all we need!"

Astrid began to stir, letting out a soft moan as she rolled over, wrapping her arm around Hiccup's waist, grasping his shirt, and burying her face into his abdomen.

"Astrid?" He gently swept the bangs from her face. She nuzzled deeper into his embrace. He rolled his eyes playfully.

"Looks like it's time to head back to the dorms," Fishlegs suggested. Hiccup nodded in agreement.

He gradually shuffled out from under Astrid's head, scooping her up in his arms. Her head rested on his shoulder, her arm draped across her stomach.

"You're not seriously planning on carrying her all the way back are you?" Snotlout wondered.

"Hey, I'm stronger than I look." Hiccup defended. "Besides, you have no idea how hard it is to get this girl to sleep. I'm not about to wake her up now."

***

A few weeks passed and Astrid had started to notice a change in Hiccup's behavior. Sneaking off, being a lot less talkative, and even falling asleep in class.

He, of course, denied the notion.

"Astrid? What are you doing here?" Ruffnut wondered as she opened her door to find the other blonde female.

"How's it going, A?" Tuff asked as he peeked around from the door.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I need your help." She sighed.

"Woah!" The twins gasped. Tuffnut leaned into his sister and whispered.

"What do we do?"

"I have no idea. This has never happened before." Ruffnut stated. She stepped aside, permitted Astrid to enter. "What could you possibly need us for?"

"Something is going on with Hiccup," Astrid explained. "And he won't talk to me about it. Which means it can't be good."

"So, you want us to torture him for information?" Tuff thought. "I LOVE IT!" He cheered.

"We're not torturing, Hiccup." She declined. "You guys seem to enjoy sneaking around and eavesdropping on us. So..."

"Oh, you want us to spy on him?"

"Sorta. I just wanna make sure he's okay. So, don't get any ideas." Astrid warned.

"What do we get out of it?" Tuff wondered.

"I'll do your homework," Astrid smirked.

"We're in!" They cheered.

***
The next day at lunch
***

The gang was all gathered in the cafeteria. Hiccup was lost deep in thought.

"Hiccup? Are you okay?" Heather looked around, wondering what he was staring at.

"Uh, I'm fine." He shook himself back to reality. His phone buzzed. He reached into his pocket to read a text. "I'll be right back." He excused himself from the group with a solemn sigh.

Astrid glanced at the twins and nodded. They return that nod.

They decided not to be sly at all. They threw on identical black jackets, beanies, and sunglasses.

"We are. Thorston and Thorston. Sleuths Extraordinaire." They chanted.

"Way to be sly, guys." Astrid rolled her eyes.

"Um, care to explain?" Fishlegs wondered.

"Mr. Haddock has been acting strange. So, we have been hired to solve the mystery." Ruffnut dramatized.

Heather and Fishlegs glared at Astrid who shrugged guiltily.

"Now, the mystery is, who is our sly little friend here communicating with on the... sly?" Tuffnut smirked. The twins jumped up and raced after Hiccup.

***

Hiccup hesitantly made his way behind the lunch hall, where he met up with a strange group of boys. Their leader was only slightly taller than Hiccup but definitely more muscular.

"I was starting to think you weren't gonna show." 

"Let's just get this over with." Hiccup sighed. 

The twins watched intently from a distance, with their good eye.

***

Later that day.

***

Hiccup entered Heather and Astrid's dorm room to find Heather sat on her bed, doodling in her notebook, and Astrid quickly approaching with a terrifying scowl on her face.

Her fist connected with his upper arm. 

"Ah! What was that for?!" He gasped.

"You didn't tell me!" She growled.

Hiccup glanced over at Heather who just shot him a knowing glance and returned to her doodling. 

"Hiccup, who were those guys you saw at lunch?" Astrid questioned.

"What guys?" Hiccup shrugged.

"Hiccup! Your denial is bad enough." Astrid hissed. "Please don't lie to me."

Hiccup let out a sigh. Lying to Astrid was the last thing he wanted to do.

"Hiccup, why didn't you just tell me those guys are bullying you?" Astrid wondered.

"Because!" He snapped. "We're adults, this stuff isn't supposed to happen anymore!"

"You should've told me."

"What's the point?" He sighed. "It's not like you'd understand."

Astrid could not believe what she just heard. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. She nodded, defeatedly.

"Yeah, you're right." She stated, sarcastically. "I have NO idea what that's like."

"Oh, come on. You're Astrid." Hiccup noted. "Everyone loves you."

"Hiccup, how old were you when we met?"

"One." Hiccup thought. Nearly twenty years ago.

"Then how is it that you don't know me at all?" She fought back a sob as she pressed her hand against Hiccup's chest causing him to back out of the room, unwillingly.

"Astrid..." 

Before he could finish what he was saying Astrid closed the door and locked it, without a word. She spun around and sunk to the ground, sobbing hysterically.

She had never fought with Hiccup before, ever. 

***