Partners

Th3DragonwRider HTTYDwriter22 adh126 astridvh

***

Everyone understands how high school works. Everyone fits into a clique; Queen Bees, Jocks, Theatre Kids, Nerds... the list goes on, and Berk High was no exception to the hierarchy.

Everyone at Berk High knew that Astrid Hofferson was the Queen of Queen Bees. She hadn't worked very hard for the role. In fact, she didn't actually do much of anything. But her angelic looks alone were enough for those girls. Her dad being the CEO of a major tech company was a bonus.

Everyone was gathered in the courtyard. Today was the day they handed out partners for the drama exam. The teacher came and pinned up a sheet of paper and barely made it out with her life as everyone rushed to see. They were soon pushed apart by Cole Hughes, who was practically a butler to the Queen Bees. He worshipped them as Goddesses. He finally emerged from the crowd, holding back his laughter.

"Well?" Kari asked. Kari was a year older than Astrid but got held back a year. She was also the former Queen Bee.

"You and Eric are performing Twelfth Night," Cole explained. Kari was more than okay with that. Eric was the captain of the basketball team, as head cheerleader, she was certain that they were destined to be together.

"Ramona, you're with me. Midnight Escape." Ramona loved that play so much, she didn't care who her partner was. He continued listing their partners until he reached... Astrid and could no longer contain his laughter.

"Okay, out with it!" She glared at him. He knew that glare anywhere. Astrid was the champion of their local boxing club, and Cole really didn't want to unleash the beast today.

"Romeo and... Juliet." He rasped out. That alone was enough to make Astrid cringe. The girls all began laughing. "Wait... It... Gets better." Cole added. "With Hayden."

Astrid froze. Not Hayden. Anyone but Hayden. He and Astrid were inseparable once. The best of friends. But the day they started high school, everything changed. Astrid got popular overnight and Hayden became the school's punching bag. The smartest kid in school. Captain of the Nerd Squad. They had barely said two words to one another since the first day of high school, four years ago. How was she supposed to talk to him? After all this time? And performing Romeo and Juliet, her friends would never let her live it down.

Astrid was soon shaken out of her thoughts when Carter grabbed her shoulder. Carter was the only Queen Bee that she could stand. She wasn't as obnoxious as the other girls. They had bonded at the boxing club.

***

It was the end of the day and Astrid headed to her locker. Thanks to her last name, it was stationed right beside Hayden's. She had been rather fortunate not to run into him for the past four years. She couldn't help the millions of thoughts racing through her head.

They were completely different people now. She was strong, confident, and athletic. Hayden was quiet, shy, and intelligent. What if he was mad at her? What if he didn't remember her? No, that's ridiculous, of course, he did. But what if...

She suddenly snapped back to her senses when Hayden's locker flew open. She knew she would have to talk to him eventually, she just hoped she would have had some time to build up the nerve.

"Hey..." She said softly. His eyes opened wide in shock.

"Uh... Hi." He stuttered. "I uh... I guess you saw the roster?"

She nodded gently. The guilt was overbearing. Her best friend, the person she once told everything to, the person who was by her side from the start, and she had abandoned him. She never wanted them to drift apart. But, high school is a confusing place.

"So, uh... D-Did you... maybe wanna come over tomorrow night? Uh... to rehearse." He never stuttered this much, at least not around Astrid. He was clearly just as nervous as she was, and she couldn't blame him.

"I don't know Hic-" She paused. She had never used his real name. Not to his face. But, they were practically strangers now. "Hayden." He looked at her with that sad lopsided smile that she missed so much. She smiled back and nodded. "Okay."

"Great, I'll pick you up after school. Don't worry, I'll meet you around back. Your friends will never know." He closed his locker and smiled once more before heading home.

That was the one thing she loved the most about her old friend. He was always so thoughtful, but why did she feel so guilty?

***

The next day, as promised, he waited by the back door. His nose stuck in a book. He was so focused on what he was reading, he hadn't noticed the blonde approaching until her fist collided with his arm. A gesture that was all too familiar.

"Ow! Astrid?! Hi, Astrid!" He yelped. She chuckled at him, and for a single moment, it was just like old times. "Did you get stronger?" He rubbed his newly bruised arm. Astrid rolled her eyes playfully.

"Come on, Nerd. Let's go." She teased. He tucked his book into his backpack and handed her a helmet. Confusion struck across her face until she saw him mounting a matte black motorcycle. "You ride a Night Fury?" A Night Fury. The greatest motorcycle on Earth.

"What can I say? This Nerd has style." He gestured for her to hop on, and after a quick giggle, she put on the helmet and did as told.

***