11| Scar Tissue

>>>-------------------->   <---------------------<<<

"All I'm left with is this scar tissue, battle wounds after surviving you, oh." - Camila Cabello

>>>--------------------->   <-------------------<<<
                                LISA
>>>-------------------->   <---------------------<<<

I frowned, watching Jennie's face get even paler and darker when the figure of Yejun Kim decided to point at her and reveal to those present that she was his daughter.

I think Peter Edge and my father were shocked, especially the last one, since he sought my look for an explanation. But I was just as lost as he was.

Not in a thousand years would I have guessed that Jennie Kim was the daughter of Yejun Kim, my father's business rival and CEO of Asia's leading electric car company, leading the way in sales of automobiles and auto parts across the Asian continent.    It did not expand to the West like MMC, but that didn’t make the company any less impressive or less profitable than it actually was. And back to Jennie and the man, they could have the same surnames, but because they are Koreans, that didn't change much and didn't even mean
that they were related. So, my surprise was valid.

If Jennie had used her father's name to get more opportunities as a singer, she would have been on the podiums for years. But something told me that, until that moment, she was determined to distance herself as much as possible from her kinship with him, no matter how much her father's influence would help her achieve her own goals. Unfortunately, everything had fallen apart in seconds when he happened to be at the same party as her.

There on the stage, Yejun Kim continued his speech:

"My Jennie came to America after her dream as a singer, and I am extremely happy to see her squandering her gift at a party like the Monopoly Party. That's why receiving this award is doubly more rewarding for me and..."

I caught a glimpse of Jennie's jaw tightening when he paused and smiled directly at her. The hall exploded in slightly confused palms, and I had the impression that they only added to the clear agony that Jennie seemed to feel standing beside me, deathly pale. Yejun went on talking, but I stopped listening. "Jen?" | called her, trying to get her attention.

She blinked a few times, as if my voice had awakened her from a deep sleep. Up ahead, your father was still talking.

.. | saw Jennie's throat wobble. She slid her eyes over me for a few seconds, and | caught the sparkle of tears that she seemed to struggle to
suppress. "| need to go."

She handed me the champagne in half and a half and ran halfway across the room and through the guests to the back.

| took a deep breath, shaking my head from side to side as | placed both of our glasses on some table
and launched myself after her. 

| had a single weakness: seeing tears. | just couldn't help but feel sorry if someone cried in front of me. And as much as she had run to prevent me from seeing her in tears, | knew that crying was all she wanted and | felt - almost like an instinct - that | should be there to help her in some way. That's if she didn't kick me out when | approached.

| dodged the guests and tables, following her red dress with my eyes, until | stepped out of the room through the emergency door. The icy breeze greeted me and | felt my bare arms shiver with cold.

There was an exceptional lawn outside and, farther back, the parking lot. Everything was covered with a blanket of freezing darkness and sparse lights that came from the many posts scattered around.