Chapter 28

-Sakura's POV-

Just over half an hour passed after Sasori was summoned away before my phone rang with an incoming call from the redhead himself. A smile tugged at my lips when he spoke more casually than before after I answered, "Hey Sakura, babe. Sorry again for stepping out on you like that."

I took another sip of whiskey as I slouched lazily on the sofa, "No worries. Work's important."

A loud thump sounded from his end of the line, followed by multiple men jokingly arguing about something, but I couldn't make out a word they were saying. Sasori yelled at them to shut up before sighing and speaking with an irritated tone, "The guys want to know if they can come over and meet you." More arguing came from his end of the line, albeit more hushed than before.

I shot up from my relaxed position and frantically looked around for anything that may need tidied before guests would arrive, "Um, yeah. Sure, no problem!" A knock came at the door and I got to my feet to answer it, "I'll see you in a bit then. Later!" I heard him bid me farewell before clicking the phone call to a close and pulling the door open.

Ino pushed past me with a massive paper bag in her arms, "Move or I'm gonna drop something!"

I stepped out of the way and closed the door once she passed it, "I love you so much, babe, but what are you doing here and what the hell is all that?"

The model carefully sat the bag on the dining table before letting out a sigh of relief and turning to face me with her hands on her hips and a stern expression on her beautiful face, "I need a girls' night and I knew if I called ahead you'd try and get out of it."

I pointed at her with a playful glare, "Don't act like you know me, Pig."

She pulled me into a headlock with one arm and ruffled my hair with the other, "Don't act like I'm wrong, Forehead! You've been nervous about partying since we went to Masquerade back then. Don't think I haven't noticed you fake sipping your drinks when we're all out to dinner!" I pulled away from her with a frown, wordlessly trying to convince her to stop talking about the sensitive subject, but she shook her head at me, "Nuh uh, bitch! We are going to get white girl wasted and everything will be fine because we're in the privacy and safety of your dorm!"

I took a peek into the brown bag and saw the familiar cap of an expensive brand of tequila before giving her a relenting smile, "Fine," I addressed her statement from before, "But why do you need a girls' night? Did something happen?"

The woman turned and began taking the bottles of liquor out of the sack as she explained in a semi-angry voice, "Kankuro and I are done!"

I rolled my eyes, "I thought you guys broke up weeks ago."

Ino sighed loudly, "We did, but now we're completely done!"

Sensing she wanted to talk about it, I pushed further, "Alright, what happened?"

"That asshole had the audacity to text another woman right in front of me! Can you believe that shit?"

A scoff passed my lips, "Why do you care if he's talking to someone? You're broken up."

The blond turned on her heel and pointed her finger at me with a serious expression, "You know damn well that I'm not about to entertain any man who doesn't give me his full attention and so does he."

I laughed, coming over to help her unbag the drinks, "So you're officially back on the market then?"

The woman nodded with her aura perking up substantially, "Mama's on the prowl, baby!" She stiffened slightly before tilting her head at me, "Have you already been drinking? I smell whiskey." I grinned sheepishly, rubbing the back of my head.