48

Ana ended up leaving because she wasn't getting a response from her mother

Ana ended up leaving because she wasn't getting a response from her mother. She wanted to be there for everyone but they understood that this was Ana's family. When she came home, all she saw was Goose by herself. She instantly searched for her but found out that her mother was one of the people that had been blipped out of existence by Thanos. She eventually received a call from the hospital saying that she was the only emergency contact picking up for Maria Rambeau. That was when she found out that Maria had gotten out of surgery only for the snap to happen and Monica disappearing.

Ana chose to stay with Maria, rather than help out the Avengers because she needed to be there for Maria. Maria didn't have anyone else, but the Avengers had each other. Maria would tell her stories about things she's missed and Ana would sneak Goose into the hospital for Maria to see.

"Oh, child, you still got that cat." Maria had laughed at the sight of the thing, "Goose, how old are you, now?"

"Old." Ana says with a smile in her voice. It was actually helping Ana cope that she lost so many people in the blip. Being there with Maria during her recovery. "I'm surprised, honestly. I thought cats only live for a certain amount of time."

"Well, she's not a cat."

Ana gave Maria a confused look and then checked her vitals, "Are you okay? I can call-"

"Goose is a Flerken." Maria informs her while swatting Ana's hand away from the call button, "Honestly, we should have told you a long time ago. We were just worried you'd go off and tell someone you have an alien as a pet."

"Soo, Goose is an alien?" Ana held the cat to her chest and ran her fingers through her fur, "Wow... I guess I'm learning new things everyday."

Maria gave her a rather tired smile as she sunk further into her bed, "It's good to see your face. The last time I saw you... you had just graduated from college. It's been so long since then."

Ana looked down at the palm of her hands while she played with them, "I should have called or visited more."

"You were off saving the world." Maria holds her hand in hers, "You were doing amazing things and we were proud. You called enough to let us know you were okay. That was all we needed to hear."

"But-" Ana sniffled, she had been trying to control her tears but it was so hard, "Now mom won't even get to hear it. That I'm okay because she's gone now. We didn't win. I didn't save the world this time. We lost."

"Hey, hey, babygirl." Maria ushered for her to crawl into the bed with her, "You did the best you could. And I know you and your little gang are thinking of new ways to fix this and win. So, don't go and give up hope now. Hope is what keeps us going."

And that was what Ana needed to hear. She contacted Natasha to know what was going on at the compound and apparently a woman had appeared after the device Fury left behind stopped beeping. Ana had to keep asking them what was going on, but Natasha wasn't so sure. Until she said that a woman who called herself Captain Marvel was there.