16

Steve watched Ana as she walked ahead of them, a skip almost in her step

Steve watched Ana as she walked ahead of them, a skip almost in her step. With her hair up in a messy bun like that he almost called her Tiffany. If he hadn't have taken a moment to actually look at her, he would have hugged her and screamed her name. He didn't do much when he first came into this century, he had to get assimilated back to this kind of world. He didn't immediately look up anyone. He was being monitored by Shield and he was not too fond of that idea. So he tried to get back to what felt like normal, he should have looked for people he knew.

"Gentlemen." Fury greets as they walk in. A man of his word, Steve gave Fury ten bucks since everyone surrounding him was quite a shock, especially Ana. Fury accepts the money before extending a hand to Banner, "Doctor, thank you for coming."

"Thanks for asking nicely." Dr. Banner glanced back at Natasha as she waved, "So, uh... how long am I staying?"

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the clear."

"Where are you with that?"

Ana looked away from them as they conversed and walked behind Natasha. She stared at the image of Clint before nudging her, "Hey, we'll get him back."

Natasha gave Ana a smile before nodding, she glanced at Coulson as he explained what they were doing, "That's still not gonna find them in time."

"You have to narrow the field." Dr. Banner states, before looking to Fury, "How many spectrometers do you have access to?"

"How many are there?"

Dr. Banner took that in and nodded, "Call every lab you know, tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm based on cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for me to work?"

"Oh boy, oh boy, do we?" Ana twirls as she walks so she was facing him, "Director Fury, lemme show him where all the toys are."

"Agent Romanoff, go with them."

Ana shot Fury a rather displeased look before rolling her eyes and latching arms with Dr. Banner. She felt his entire body stiffen under the contact but that didn't deter her, "Let me know if you're uncomfortable."

"No, it's okay."

"Mmm." Ana released him slowly and instead, held his hand in her own, "Less uncomfortable, or do you prefer no contact? I'm a very like... touchy person, especially to people I like. And I may not know you, but I already enjoy the presence you give off."

"You..." Dr. Banner felt as though it would be rude to let her hand go because he never had someone this nice to him before. Almost everyone was either distant or scared of him. "Ah, this is fine. Uh... You're-"

"Kind, preppy, optimistic, beautiful?" Ana finishes for him, but ends with a teasing wink before opening the doors to the lab, "I'm kidding... kind of." She hopped on one of the stools after releasing his hand, "Well, this is the place. Have the fun. I'm not in the mood to memorize anything about thermonuclear astrophysics just yet. Might make my brain implode."