29

Sitting in his own thoughts

Sitting in his own thoughts. It was not something he did often. His mind was usually silent but this time it was full. His head was hurting from things he wasn't sure about. Things he didn't recall but somehow had in his brain.

"Sergeant Barnes-" That voice made his head snap to the side and look at his metal arm. Looking blankly he thought he saw skin and then it was replaced by the shining metal. He closed his eyes again as they worked on it.

"Bucky, no!"

"The procedure has already started. You are to be the new fist of Hydra. Put him on ice."

Then that same face. As the woman on the bridge, it wasn't entirely clear but it was the same woman. She had a smile on her face and it was like she was looking at him, "Come on, Buck! We're going to miss it!"

Reacting violently, he swung his fist and knocked over the Hydra agent fixing his arm. Guns are instantly pointed at him before he could attack any further, but that woman's voice was in his head again.

"I was thinking we could go down and get ice cream again."

His eyes move over to where other Hydra agents enter the room. Pierce comes in and stares at him as the scientists speak.

"Why are there no plums at the market?" Her voice was getting louder in his head, "No, Bucky, I don't want to use strawberries. We need to go someplace else. We can-"

"Mission report."

But he was just staring blankly ahead. He didn't even register what Pierce had said. He kept trying to think of that woman from before. She was beautiful and it was making him feel so many things.

"It's okay. Bucky. It's okay. Do it."

"Mission report, now." Pierce moves closer to Bucky and strikes him hard in the face.

"The woman on the bridge." Bucky finally looked up at Pierce, "Who was she?"

"You met her earlier this week on another assignment."

Bucky's brows furrow, "I knew her. Tiffany..."

Pierce realizes that Bucky didn't actually know Ana, but he was mistaking her for her grandmother Tiffany. He pulls up a stool to sit in front of him. "Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves."

"I knew the man as well." He says blankly, "But I know her. She- It's Tiffany."

"It's okay. Bucky. It's okay. Do it."

Those words repeated in his mind again and he shut his eyes as though he was in immense pain. Something about that set of words was causing this feeling in his heart to pull.