♡•49•♡

FOURTY-NINE

forgiveness comes hand in hand with peace.

Aaron thinks about that often, especially these past few days in the impending trial of his marriage, and the tear slowly ripping them apart.

"I'm fine."

"You always say that."

"I said I'm fine, why can't you understand that?"

"You never open up to me anymore."

"You never talk to me anymore."

"I'm fine, don't worry about it."

"There you again, you always say that."

"and what happens when she's lets go?"

"divorce papers." a voice rang through his head, the swift turns and swivels of a pen echoing throughout his ears as Aphmau quickly signed the stack in front of him.

he examined her finger, noticing how empty it is without the wedding ring he brought during his year without Aphmau.

he didn't want to but he had ditched his wedding ring the day she broke up with him — he hated seeing it, he hated everything it had stood for.

he hated being there just enough to remind him that
the tear slowly ripping them apart could been seen
more visibility between them.

the photos they had treasured together were now thrown out of their photos frames, broken glass was scattered across the flooring and thrown into the trash but was never enough to bring her back.

Aphmau pushed the pile of contract papers towards Aaron who wanted to ask her if he seriously thought he wanted to sign them the way she did.

he felt sick — he didn't want to admit how hard it had been to watch her swiftly bring her pen across the papers, turning each page.

the final months of their marriage has been rough, another broken promise piling on to the heavy load the two had been carrying, and between all the late night fights, loud arguments, and yellings, you figured — divorce was mercy, pity more say.

divorce was the option for forgiveness, and as cruel and cold as it sounded, it was still love.

"so, this is it?" Aaron told her, unable to say anything else before everything would come crashing down again upon him.

Aaron stares at the stack of papers, and with all the love in his heart, he really isn't ready to throw the history they shared between them, but as much as he loved her, he knew Aphmau would end up hating him if he continued on like this.

he hesitated, unable to move his hand towards the stack of papers sitting in front of him.

he couldn't possibly do this.

but in the end, he signed the papers anyways, and thinks — this was his way of forgiving her, and this was her way of forgiving him.

"we're still friends, right?" Aaron asks her, the tone in his voice hadn't sounded the same as he once did before.

he needed to calm down, pinching the ends of the table briefly with pressure flowing throughout his body.

Aphmau offer him a small smile, "we'd always be friends, even if this marriage wasn't never meant to be."

Aaron mirrors her smile, that beautiful smile he had fell in love with all those years ago offering his hand for her to shake instead.

"how could she have been so clam throughout this?"he thought.

he knew Aphmau wasn't the one to keep her calm in these situations but he had surprised him how well she was taking this.

but she knew she couldn't keep this act up any longer than he could.

Aphmau felt as if her smile was gradually loosening like the stitches that kept together the fabric of a stuff animal.

Aaron slowly took her hand, and felt how difference it had been holding her hand again without the design of her wedding ring.

he looks down at her hand, hesitating to shakes it, but does anyways and from there, this was goodbye.

divorce was the forgiveness of a broken marriage.

"I'll miss you." he says, knowing there's some truth in those words, even if he did only say them out of politeness.

Aaron hopes she'll forgive him for letting their marriage slip away from reality and hopes he'll forgive himself for hating him for it.

he doesn't want to let go of her hand, he couldn't but no matter how much it hurt from inside, the bond they once shared will still be there.

"I'll miss you too."

"Guess they were right, the greatest love stories do always end up in tragedy."

author's note:
I can't believe it's been
two years since the making
of this book.

thank y'all so much for everything.

Thanks For Reading,
Peggy (The Author)