Oblivious Genius (Bdoc)

Word Count: ~4.9k

Au: Highschool AU

Around 3k of these words were written in a notes app during school. I would've written the entire thing in the app but I reached the character limit so I couldn't lmao

Most people realize after they graduate highschool that in the long run, the grades they get aren't important. Being top of the class consistently throughout your school life doesn't matter ten years later, in fact, some people forget.

Twelfth-grade student Doc was aware of this. He knew when he got older, there was a possibility he was going to regret spending so much time focused on his grades. But at the same time, he knows he'll regret not trying hard enough. It's just how he is.

So he works hard. Studies hard. He's the goat of the grade- always holding the first place spot. Always top of the class, always the best grades. Even when he knows he'll ace a test he'll do as much extra credit as possible.

Overachiever, try-hard, whatever you want to call him he doesn't care. Some if not most of his classmates find him weird that he genuinely enjoys doing much work. He likes being productive and prides himself on his excellent time management skills.

-

A new student came to his class. His name started with a 'B' and that's all Doc paid attention to. It took him a couple of seconds to assess the new classmate. Not tidy but not quite unkempt. He was conventionally pretty, something Doc didn't envy. Although he was containing it, the hybrid could tell he was a bomb of bright energy, and he didn't want to be in the area when he burst. Yeah, he definitely does not seem like a smart kid, He thought, internalizing a scoff.

Their teacher placed 'B' next to him in the front row, because of course. As class began, Doc felt more and more ticked off. He could feel a pair of brown and green eyes glued to him. Finally, when the teacher was at the back of the class helping another student, he snapped his head to look at him.

"Can I help you?" he asked. The other jumped, but the smile on his face didn't move.

"Sorry," he giggled. "I just don't think I've ever seen someone so focused in a history class before. I'm Bdubs by the way, but you already knew that."

Is he expecting me to tell him my name? He grew more annoyed at this random kid making fun of him. Choosing to ignore him, he turned back to his assignment.

"Doc can you pick up the homework copies from the printer in the teacher's lounge?" his teacher asked as they walked back up to the front of the room.

He just nodded. A part of him wondered if he should be annoyed Bdubs knew his name, but that just felt petty. If anything he was relieved he could get away from him for a moment.

Once he came back to class and passed out the papers, he slid back into his seat. "Please stop staring at me," he muttered, not looking up from his assignment.

"You have nice eyes," the freckled student pointed out. Doc searched for a sense of sarcasm when he glanced at him. He raised an eyebrow at the rather odd compliment.

Although maybe thanking him would be a polite option, he didn't care enough and turned back to his work.

-

Before class could end the teacher reminded them of their upcoming test. "Since you just moved here and it's tomorrow- Bdubs you don't have to take it," they explained.

Doc glanced over at him and watched him shrug. "I'll take it, I don't mind."

Mx.Gecko agreed but assured him if he did poorly they didn't have to count it.