Chapter 39. Ashes... Ashes...

Start from the beginning

The redhead is unable to do anything. He had called upon Fuchsia, who came to his rescue without question and now he put all of them in danger. These wolves would fight not only because of Saikai but also Crescent and Kisha. Their respect for Kisha, though their chances of survival were grim, was more than enough to risk it all.

This mentality only pained Saikai; knowing this may be their last moment on earth. How expendable they were. Not only had he risked losing Kisha, but the others he promised to protect. They all came to join the gang in hopes of finding a strong leadership. Kisha for years has led them to success; however, his absence hindered everything. And now like trash... Saikai called them to be disposed of only to preserve his life.

Saikai raises on his feet, readying himself to run to Fuchsia's side, the regret becoming too much to bear, but a hand grapples his wrist, holding him in place. He looks down frantically to see Crescent shaking his head, telling him not to proceed forward.

This wasn't like the other battle. Their opponent outweighed them all. The chances of survival were near none and any false move could easily change course. Crescent had become a man who grew to know danger, live amongst it, breathe it, sleep it, and analyze every bit of it. They needed an opportunity not an impulse.

"Crescent... I-I can't let this continue." Saikai demands, his voice is low but widened sage green eyes and gasping breaths signify how worried he is. Panic has become a feeling Saikai could live with these past few days. Moments where his heart felt tight like it wouldn't settle no matter what he did. Saikai was flushed, once a sarcastic and foolish attitude drained through skin and bone dawned on Crescent of how serious the situation changed them all. Even Crescent's fiery response is dwindling. Saikai is shaking. Watching these animals in action tore him apart. Saikai hated the way they fought. How relentless and far they were willing to push themselves. He hated the blood, the crying, the suffering.

"There's nothing we could do... If you were to join in you'd be in the way." Crescent tried to reassure Saikai but inside it was burning him that at any moment, they all could be finished.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Aren't you the one that said we had to fight?!" Saikai tries to yank his arm free, even pulling Crescent forward as he did, but Crescent tries to remain firm, planting weight against a nearby large root.

"For fuck sake. Let them do their job, Saikai. Honestly what the fuck can you do? Run to them to check their battle wounds? Yell and tell Diamond to stop, please? As if he gives a fuck about you or any of us!!! Your uselessness will not help! Get over it..."

Get over it...

This was The Phantom's fault.

A small balled-up fist as the realization through Crescent's words hit like bullets down his legs and into the ground his weight fell. Almost instantly Saikai choked on the air he inhaled, other hand drawn up to grip the base of his neck. He's trying to breathe, calm himself but the jitters of doing what's right beckon his heart. Saliva begins to leak from the corner of his lip as his head falls. Imminent pain and doom engulf a once nonchalant heart and it is now that Saikai cannot fathom what has begun to unfold. Through his attack, he cries out.

"I'm---" Saikai coughs. "I'm so sorry!!"

Ehma, who had taken his attention from Diamond, runs to his injured comrade, bending down and pressing his nose to Fuchsia's back. It's apparent through smell and touch that Fuchsia is injured, but Ehma pushes on and soon Fuchsia climbs to his feet. The two small wolves stand side by side, Fuchsia narrowed eyes contain the coursing pain. A rub and then flick of Ehma's tongue Fuchsia is licked for welcoming comfort.

The fight must go on.

Before them, boisterously claiming his status, reminding them who was in charge, Diamond showed a puffer chest, dominant snorts, and head shakes marked territory. His enjoyment washed as a sea of playful bullying. His tail wags, telling the Betas they are but small fry as they're unable to impact him emotionally. He's displaying a moment of happiness. This is the very thing he's been waiting for. All those years of walking past enemy wolves.