Chapter 30. Two Birds, One Stone

Start from the beginning

He had so many questions and no one to answer them. 

No one to remind him everything was going to be okay. 

No one to treat him like the little brother he is-- the leech he preferred to be. 

Another choking cough and Ahni stops in his tracks. Doubling over, the emotions taking over him. It felt so heavy. The weight on his legs. The monsters ran through his head. He wished his brother was beside him. He wanted to break down and cry in Crescent's arms. Hear his voice, cling to him. Would someone rescue him then?

A scuffle of a slipper, then another, and Ahni is led to the fire escape where he begins to descend slowly. A button-up silk set, fit to his frame so he didn't look like an oversized shiny bag. He loved how it brushed against him when he walked, the softness of the fabric and the color were vibrant. 

He ate today. He felt warm. He had a bed. No holes in his clothing. No worrying about the weather. Never surrounded by noise that awoke him in the middle of the night. He had friends and he had an education. He recently met new friends, Ralp and Fuchsia. All of that wasn't as enjoyable with this weight on his heart. He needed to focus on the joy. Don't allow the darkness to take over him.

Ahni waddled to the first floor. These emotions weren't good for anyone.

Numbing the way he felt as a security blanket to keep himself sane. It was always the way he functioned. Shutting down. Ahni raised a hand, wiping away his tear which had become a switch as he inhaled slowly. Upon exhale he appeared to have fixed his emotional turmoil. Suck it up, Ahni White.

Ahni sighed, his path led him to the opposite tower. He wasn't sure if Crescent was still even on school grounds. The look in Crescent's eyes told Ahni Crescent wanted to be far away from anyone. Growing up, they couldn't take time off from each other, but now they had the space to do it.

As he continued to look inside the classrooms, looking for the shadow figure of his brother, he was surprised to see that someone was wandering around one room.

The only light coming from the room was the lamps located at the ceiling, but the body still scampered around as if it had nothing else to do. Red hair? He's seen that person before... but where? Ah! The Gauntlet, the first day of school, and at Hilla Cure... he's always with Locklear, but Ahni couldn't remember his name. Ahni was always bad with names. Faces often didn't match with names even after being told to his face. He forgets easily.

He craved human interaction, Ahni sat at the door watching the male go from one curtain to the other until he paused in center isle and looked directly towards the door.

Ahni backed up. Was he being weird? The male was approaching from the other side until abruptly the door swung open and there standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame, the clear view of a smiling figure.

"Don't you look like someone I know? Remember me?" Saikai smirked. Ahni was much cuter in the way he carried himself. Some jokes went over his head and the small interactions they shared seemed but fleeting fun. Saikai was more interested in the way the human body functioned while Ahni chose to stray topic upon Kisha.

Saikai had become bored staring at these walls for days now. It was a good thing someone decided to deliver him some entertainment.

"Oh... I was looking for my brother... Have you seen him?" Ahni raised a hand, rubbing at his bicep awkwardly. Saikai's condition was terrible, but still, he remained unguarded. He desperately shifted his gown around, trying to cover the bandages on his body as if Ahni couldn't see them already. Against his clear complexion, the bandages were ugly. The more Saikai moved the more aware Ahni became; the more Ahni needed to avert curiosity to keep his eyes from staring a hole into Saikai's flesh.