Ch. 169: Cracker!

Swirling his whiskey around in his glass, Gareth enjoyed a moment of silence. Not that it was silent, the ballroom was buzzing with people talking and the band playing. The sounds of glasses, utensils on plates and servers constantly pouring wine and drinks.

They had finished the main course and were waiting on dessert. From many of the stuffy weddings he had attended in his life, he had to give it to Vittorio, an Italian wedding was anything but boring. Sure, there had been a few speeches where Gareth had felt he had been on his way back into a coma, but for the most part people had been dancing and singing at any given time.

Halfway through the entrees a bunch of elderly Italian men had gotten up and begun dancing around where Vittorio and Patricia sat, the band had joined in, making it even more spectacular. They had danced until a blushing Patricia had joined them. People had left their food and gotten up to dance and clap along with the show.

His eyes drifted around the room.

Jace was the king of his table, though he took on the role as court jester too. He was telling stories and having the crowd laughing all the time. Even Phoenix had a smile on his face every time Gareth had looked in their direction.

At first, Leoni had been shy and clinging to his pantleg, not making his already troubled walking easier, eventually she had seen some of the other kids and carefully inched in on them to join their fun and games. Sereai had been there most of the time keeping an eye on all the ankle biters. How that woman found the energy to deal with all those kids and still keep up her jobs, a husband and look like a fucking supermodel, he had no idea of.

Not that she had been needed at all, none of the kids were ever without supervision, both Vittorio's and Gareth's guys were all over them, dancing and playing with them. Leoni was a little diva with all of Gareth's guys. They adored her and she had them all wrapped around her little finger.

Especially Phoenix, of all people.

The way she called him 'Unkie Phonnie', which made it sound like 'Uncle Funny' which was even more hilarious because of who Phoenix were, was absolutely enchanting. She and Rein called all of them 'uncle'. They were probably the only kids in the world with over 300 Italian and Russian uncles who loved them to bits.

In the crowd of people, Gareth saw his parents sitting with Vittorio and Patricia and Phoenix's parents, sharing a bottle of champagne. They too were smiling and watching people enjoy the party.

They all seemed to enjoy themselves.

Like that shadow Vasyl had cast on them had finally disappeared. They too felt the future looked brighter, that all the hard work and the sacrifices made the last year had been worth it.

Gareth did not know how to thank them for everything they had done for him and Mackenzie.

Especially Cracker.

How did one repay that kind of dedication?

Saying thank you did not seem like enough and would be a gross understatement. Paying him would be an insult. Offering him something material was just in bad taste. Gareth had nothing, could think of nothing to give back to Cracker for everything he had done. Done in the face of losing Alyssa, at the cost of his own comfort and safety, for months on end. First stalking and then capturing Vasyl. Then working in the shadows to keep Mackenzie safe and later save Gareth's life by shooting Iri. Still after that, he had kept at it to get the hitmen after Mackenzie.

And he had been humble enough to let Vittorio call to tell the good news. Had worked relentlessly to get the last hitman before the wedding for Mackenzie to be able to attend and for Gareth to reclaim his love.