Ch. 170: You have nothing to apologize for

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

The smile constantly playing on Mackenzie's lips got bigger when she looked up at Gareth, who had just returned from the restroom with Rein.

She loved that despite his strained walking and how exhausted he got doing it, Gareth still insisted on doing the little things fatherhood demanded of him.

Including taking Rein to the bathroom.

Sure, Rami had been trailing behind them, ever watchful and always on duty, but Gareth wanted to be treated normally and do normal things.

His sense of obligation would not let him slack on his responsibilities.

Mackenzie simply adored him for it.

"Yes, it's a beautiful evening." She patted the chair beside her for him to sit down. "Join me."

"In a moment. I was thinking..."

"Well, that can't be good." Mackenzie winked at him.

Grumbling, Gareth sucked in breath to control himself.

That little...

"Careful now, Dolly. You're already in deep shit for what you put me through earlier." Pushing a lock of her hair away from her ear, Gareth bent down and kissed her ear before he whispered with a sensual, dangerous tone, "Don't for a second think I'm not going to punish you for that."

A shudder went through her.

Her whole body reacted to him like it always did. That familiar tingling, her heartrate speeding up, her lower body felt heavy and began to throb with need.

Oh, how she had missed that.

Cheekily, she turned to look at him, mischief sparkling in her eyes, countering the dark desire in his.

"If I'm already in trouble, then what's a little more?"

Slowly twirling her hair in his hand, Gareth did not say anything. He kept twirling until he had a good fistful, then he grabbed hold and forced her head back slowly. Nothing that would catch attention from others in the room, to everybody else they looked like a couple sharing a loving moment.

Firmly, he held her head and locked eyes with her. In the depths of her dark eyes, he saw her need, her longing for what they shared and that tiny flash of fear of what he would do.

He loved that tiny flash.

Not that she should ever be afraid of him, it was the unknown of it, something he knew she reacted to.

Something he reacted to.

Violently.

Inwardly, he rolled his eyes at fitted trousers, again.

"Perhaps I only have one good arm, but one is all I need to make you sorry."

"Yes, Sir."

Her breathy moan sent shivers down his spine. Gareth felt alive in a way he had not felt since he had woken up. He felt in contact with parts of his body he had forgotten how worked because everything not related to rehabilitating his arm and leg had been put on a backburner.

It was revitalizing.

Reassuring.

Frustrating!

"I'll get you later, Dolly. Save your energy." Gently, he kissed her and let go of her hair and stood up again, relishing in the goosebumps on her skin and that hitched breathing she was doing. "As I was saying, I've been thinking..."