Ch. 147: I think I need a doctor, mate

All of Jace's anger began to seep out of him. He did not want to take revenge on an old man, who had tried to make a situation right. It had been his intention to stop Vasyl, even if his plan was the most fucked up farce. Jace had been an unfortunate victim of circumstances, and none of Jace's actual pain had been given to him by Kyrylo.

It was Vasyl Jace needed to let his anger out on.

"I don't need your life. I need your blessing. Absolution from what I'm going to do. Because when we get your brother, I will be the one making the kill. For everything he put Gareth and Mackenzie through and for me. I was the dying in that parking lot with him looking into my eyes waiting for the light to go out. I did not have 300 or more men coming to my aid, I was alone. I'll be the one returning the favor."

None of them had ever heard Jace speak like that. He could be serious and do his job, but he was the happily joking one, who always left room for a cheery attitude and never got sucked into rage.

"Granted," Gareth whispered out in a strained voice.

Like a beehive of buzzing, the clicking came over the comms.

Everybody agreeing with Gareth's decision.

"You have it. And I hope you do it well and find some peace afterwards." Kyrylo was not stupid enough to smile at Jace, they did not have that kind of relationship. He did however respect Jace's need for revenge and the burning desire to rid himself of ever being faced with Vasyl again.

Putting a demon to rest for good.

Jace nodded and turned to Phoenix with an apologetic smile. It hurt him how Phoenix felt kept in the dark, believing Jace was ok and recovering. Jace simply loved Phoenix too much to let him go through more days of worrying and feeling powerless, which was why he had decided not to tell him. Phoenix had suffered enough, Jace had at least been asleep during the worst of it, where Phoenix had lived every day in hell.

Without a word, Jace picked up the cutting tool and got back to work. He and Phoenix would have time to talk in private later on.

"Dasha," Kyrylo said in a gentle tone to get Gareth's attention.

Strangely enough Gareth seemed to react to the name and averted his eyes from an angry looking Jace and a crushed Phoenix.

"After the mall meeting, I took some precautions to make sure Vasyl would not take over. I named you as my son in my will. I got a false DNA test to go along with it, should Vasyl try to oppose the will. Everything I have is yours by 'birthright'." He made air-quotes with his fingers. "You can disband my men and Vasyl's, you can sell off my assets or you can incorporate them into your organization. It's for you to decide. All you have to do is not contest the will."

He sighed a little and looked at Zariyah. "I would appreciate it if you were the one to do it when it's time and bring my body home."

With a sad sigh, Zariyah nodded.

"Sante's daughter, is she really his wife?"

"Yes. Trust me it came as a surprise to me too." Zariyah glared at Gareth, they would have words about that. Not that she opposed to the marriage, but he could have told her, the secretive, little brat.

"Full circle, eh?" He laughed a little. "She's a good choice and a force to be reckoned with, she loves with a passion I've rarely seen. I hope for all of you she survives. I tried my best to protect her."

A grumbling was heard over the comms, but no words spoken.

"Thank you," Gareth groaned and coughed.