Ch. 160: Nothing you need to worry about

The plane ride had been uneventful. Business class was comfortable, and it was not a long flight anyway. The drive from the airport was too familiar and brought back unwanted memories. Memories he did not have room for.

He did not have room for anything anymore.

His life had plummeted into an abyss of sorrow he had no idea how to get out of. Yes, he was overjoyed with having his wife back. By God, he loved her, but... And there was a 'but' however cruel that sounded. It did not seem fair he had traded one happiness in life with another and by doing so he had gotten a new sorrow to live with.

Patricia grieved with him, tried to console him, telling him things would get better in time.

How the fuck would it get better?

His daughter. His beloved Mackenzie. The pride and joy of his life. His empire's future.

Gone.

The only good thing in all of it was the fact that Gareth and Mackenzie had gotten married legally, Vittorio could leave everything to Gareth as Mackenzie's husband. He was certain Gareth would treat Vittorio's legacy with respect, even if it became Russian and Gareth eventually would move on from Mackenzie and find a new love to share his life with.

Though at the back of his mind, he doubted that Gareth would do that. That man loved Mackenzie with a passion he wished he had had himself back when Patricia had left him. If he had had the guts to go after her and make her tell him why she left, maybe a lot would have been different. But no, what he had done was curl up in a self-pity ball and shut out everybody but Mackenzie.

Gareth had not stood for Mackenzie's bullshit, he had challenged her every step of the way. By doing that he had won.

It was almost safe to assume that Gareth would never stop loving Mackenzie.

In all honesty, Vittorio had to admit that he wanted it that way. Mackenzie's love for Gareth had run so deep and Gareth's had been borderline obsessive. It would be a beautiful memory of the person Mackenzie had been, to have a man love her to his dying day.

Not that he wished for Gareth to be unhappy and grieving the rest of his life, it would just be a beautiful testament to a love stronger than life.

"Are you ok, Caro?" Patricia asked with worry and took Vittorio's hand.

They were turning into the driveway of The Mansion and Vittorio had tensed up, remembering that night he had seen the driveway as a salvation. It had brought hope to him.

That had been then.

It no longer brought him hope. Only anxiety.

None of them knew why Gareth had invited them to come. In honor of Mackenzie's memory, they had decided to take him up on the invitation, he was their son-in-law after all. If it was a memorial service or a reading of a will they did not know of, they owed it to Mackenzie to accept Gareth's outstretched hand.

With all that Gareth had gone through for her, what his men had done for Mackenzie, it was the least they could do.

"I'm ok, Cara. I'm just nervous. I'm not sure I can handle going back in there. Back where..." He choked up, it still hurt too much. The tears were pressing at his eyes, the emotions overwhelmed him every time he thought about that day he had cried out in pain holding his daughter's cold hand.

"I'll be with you. Gareth has finally gotten on his feet. I think he wants to thank you for helping back then. I think he needs a connection to Mackenzie. We can be that for him."